Bath salts versus dry skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am an RN which is why I know people die from this. Water intoxication is not something to mess with. Your electrolytes get completely out of balance. It is horrible to watch people who suffer from it, you see it alot in elderly when the MD's tell them they need to drink alot of water and if they are slightly confused they tend to go overboard and not realize it.

I have seen the cases listed on wikipedia but never imagined that a real person could drink such an unlikely amount of water.

I have super dry skin and bad eczema, and have since I was a teeny tiny child, and am not dehydrated. Salt on my skin in any form (sea water, sweat, salted bath water) makes it worse. I can't speak for anyone else, since I don't know anyone with skin as dry as mine, but I would never use bath salts. I think it's probably fine for people with oily skin.

Oh, and you asked how to get oil to incorporate into the water? Use sulfonated castor oil (AKA turkey red oil)

As for the water thing, yeah too much can be as bad (or worse) than not enough. I was drinking too much water as a result of a medical problem, and when I was in the hospital they regulated how much I drank to make sure it wasn't too much.

Salt on my skin in any form (sea water, sweat, salted bath water) makes it worse.
Would you say that it irritates your skin or that it feels more dry afterwards ? I see there an important difference.

Oh, and you asked how to get oil to incorporate into the water? Use sulfonated castor oil (AKA turkey red oil)
Yes, an emulsifier ... I've heard of it, but I am not sure exactly what it does to the skin, seeing that it isn't really oil.

Fragola said:
Salt on my skin in any form (sea water, sweat, salted bath water) makes it worse.
Would you say that it irritates your skin or that it feels more dry afterwards ? I see there an important difference.

For me, both, although my skin doesn't really react like that of most people. It doesn't dry it out to the extreme, though (just slightly worse than normal), but gets super crazy irritated.

yes but she died because the point was to over drink and not pee... she won... anything is toxic when in large quantities, a boy i knew threw up after drinking to much water. just to take this as off topic as possible! :wink: but to try and help:

"That is because salt does draw out the moisture, but it also draws out the nasty stuff. It does not disturb the skin's natural barrier, however, and it does help restore overall mineral balance, which helps the skin to maintain proper moisture."

Read more: How Does Salt Water Affect Skin? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4620366_sa ... z1o0Z8AnXd

Back