Batch no. 7, sticky and soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennfromoz

Reaction score
Well I've been going gung ho, trying different recipes until I find the perfect one. I made this batch 2 days ago and there are a few problems. I just took it out of the mold after 48 hours and it's sticky and soft. The top however is quite chalky. I made some novelty shaped soaps with this mixture and took them out of the molds today. They were also soft, but have gotten chalky since. The ingredients I used were:
Olive Oil (infused) - 50%
Coconut oil - 30%
Palm oil - 20%
I guesses are 1. I should have used 60% hard oils or 2. I live in a tropical region.
Has anyone got any advice for me? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211024_210038.jpg
    20211024_210038.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211024_210105.jpg
    20211024_210105.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211024_210639.jpg
    20211024_210639.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 20
Did you CPOP? The uneven surface of the soaps from the small moulds appears like it really could profit from forced gel.

The “chalky top” likely is soda ash. Happens to everyone. Common remedies are, again, CPOP, or spritzing the top with rubbing alcohol, or increasing the lye concentration (less water). Or doing a forum search to find out who else has soda ash woes.

The recipe looks not too bad. Though, the olive is a bit high: this delays hardening in the mould, and curing afterwards. It indeed can't hurt to move 10 or 20% of the olive to palm (and/or shea butter, its stearic acid helps with good and quick hardening).

Your other thread still has some trick up its sleeves, too.

When the soap is still soft and sticky, it is too soon to unmold. I agree with Owl about trying CPOP. I technically don’t CPOP bc I use a heating pad instead of an oven. Works great to help firm up the soap for easier release, and to cut down on the chalky soda ash.

Second the use of a higher lye concentration/less water and to encourage the soap to gel completely via CPOP (Cold Process Oven Process) weather you use an oven, a heating pad, a blanket, a styrofoam container, heating bag (like a pizza warming carrier). There are a variety of ways to encourage gel. But it needs to be done gently with a 30% Coconut oil recipe as the CO should already be helping the soap to gel.

By using less water (try a 2:1 water to lye ratio, which = 33% Lye Concentration) to start. You can go to a lower water to lye ratio, but I suggest starting at 2:1 for now and see how that works for you.

Latest posts

Back