Bars into liquid?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misslavey

Reaction score
So I dabbled in CP soap a little while and it was fun. I had some batches that turned out really nice.

The only problem is that I don't know what to do with it all, as we don't typically use bars of soap in my house. I wouldn't feel right/safe selling off the first couple batches of soap I made, even though I made them back in July/August and I know they're safe to use.

What we DO go through a lot of in my house is liquid hand soap and body wash. I'm wondering what recipes/techniques you guys use for turning your bars into liquid soap?

don't buy the liquid soap or body wash for a while. but bar soap where the liquids used to be. voila!

There is not a real great way to turn bars into liquid soap, but you can grate it up and melt it in water. It works ok so far as doing the job of getting you clean, just not a wonderful consistency. You might have fun making liquid soap or detergent based body washes. Swiftcraftymonkey blog has recipes for body washes and Lovin Soap had a post about liquid soap.

My husband was a diehard liquid soap user and viewed my bar soap with suspicion. If it's home made, surely it can't be as good as the store bought stuff. Finally, he has converted. His perpetually dry and cracked hands are in much better shape.

I agree with carebear, banish the liquid soap and you might be pleasantly surprised.

What I do with the tons of soap I find in all corners of my house:

- I grate them and blend the grated soap with borax and washing soda to make washing powder (if you add the powders to the grated soap in the blender it will prevent the soap from clumping and it will produce a uniform consistency). I alternate using this mix in one wash and then the next wash I'll do with a mixture of commerical washing powder:borax:washing soda (1:1:1)
- I melt them in hot water (boil is the right word) and when cooled add washing soda and a bit of borax to make floor cleaner
- I use the appropritate ones (no strong scents) to wash my dishes (bar soap for dishes, yes :))
- I blend grated soap with borax, baking soda and a bit of citric acid to make dishwasher powder (I add the citric acid to stop it from foaming in the dishwasher) and it cleans pretty well
- I mix grated soap with table salt, washing soda and borax to scrub my bathtub, sink and bathroom tiles (this is a dry mix that I apply to wet surfaces and then scrub)
... I love my soap and so far it's been good to me :)

Latest posts

Back