Avocado Oil Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewepootoo

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Avocado Oil and made up some soap today but for some reason I have a layer of oil sitting on top of the soap in the moulds. This avocado oil is the only change to my recipe, it says it is infused in Lime oil. I put in 7% of this oil in my recipe and superfatted 9%
This looks like being my first major stuff up.Steve :D

Hi Steve

Mmmh, never had that problem with Avocado oil. Maybe the soap "glue" had too hot, so that it separated?

If the oil layer does not taste as lye I would try to use the soap. But if you unsecure maybe you wish to melt it again and give it a new try.

However, it will always be soap ;-)

Good luck!
Caroline

The two times I have used avocado oil in soap, I've had a situation similar to yours. I didn't have a layer of oil sitting on the top of my soap in the mold, but my two batches made with it developed a thin, sticky, oily film on them weeks after unmolding and cutting, when they were near the end of cure, like they were sweating out fat or something.

I've had a few other (non-avocado oil) batches before that were oily in the mold, but the oil in those completely re-absorbed during cure, It was really weird that my 2 batches with avocado oil reacted in the exact opposite way by leaking oil out near the end of cure. Go figure! :?
I used it at 10% with a 5% S/F.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for that, I will keep fingers crossed and hope it is usable. Steve :D

I use avocado oil regularly. I've never had any issues with it.

I will put it down to the heat and not my poor judgement this time. Thanks for the advice. Steve :D

Latest posts

Back