Australian vegetable shortening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great find!

I think you have to really shop around in Oz and buy bits and pieces from different suppliers to get the best deal.

You are so right, PenelopeJane. I tried a "dummy" shopping for a list of various oils, EO's and FO's and saved quite a lot by "shopping around". Don't forget to take account of the postage, which can also vary.

Certainly not opposed to lard. I can not find tallow and I will not support anything but sustainable palm.

I once spent a miserable three days in Singapore hardly able to see across the street because of the fires several hundred kilometres away in a neighbouring country all done for the sake of palm oil production.

I am not a radical greeny but I am certainly concerned about the environment. Enough about that ..

Tallow you can find in woolies and coles. its labeled as solidified oil and is in the butter section.

The burning question of why you really want Crisco remains. It really, truly, does not bring anything good to the soap. Lard and tallow, especially the combination thereof, are wonderful in soap. They are also by-products of the meat industry, so using it for soap is far more ecologically sound than it being dumped in a landfill.

Thank you so much my Aussie friends for the links to the cheaper options!! I am so grateful ... it makes a huge difference when you have a growing addiction :p:p

For Avocado oil this one is better (but not for palm!)

Which avocado oil is best for CP penelope, refined or virgin?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crisco-Shortening-/162028850977?hash=item25b9ac0f21:g:kH0AAOSwKtlWtCK7

There's more sellers from Aus. I'm pretty sure that's the US Crisco, it looks like it.

I also like all the suppliers listed, even Escentials. They sometimes take a bit of time to process your order but their oils are cheap and I order on time so that I don't run out in the meantime.

Virgin will make soap base yellow/green and kind of mushy in the shower if used in more than 15-20% of the recipe. Apparently, it's got lots of unsaponifiables. Personally, I would use it for leave on products. More so, because of it's price, it's very expensive to use in normal recipes.

I use refined avocado oil from AWO, it's lighter in colour and makes bars less greasy and mushy.

I found the fatty acid composition of kangaroo tallow if you need it. ;)

Yes please any information you can provide will be very useful.

I use refined avocado oil from AWO, it's lighter in colour and makes bars less greasy and mushy.

Just in time to change my order. Many thanks for this.

I go for the cheaper one, which is the refined.

Virgin will make soap base yellow/green and kind of mushy in the shower if used in more than 15-20% of the recipe. Apparently, it's got lots of unsaponifiables. Personally, I would use it for leave on products. More so, because of it's price, it's very expensive to use in normal recipes.

fuzz-juzz
check new directions for avocado oil. It is cheaper then AWO for 5 litres (unless you get a special discount that others can't get or buy different sizes? :mrgreen:)

fuzz-juzz
check new directions for avocado oil. It is cheaper then AWO for 5 litres (unless you get a special discount that others can't get or buy different sizes? :mrgreen:)

Wow thanks! I'm pretty sure AWOs 1l avocado oil was around $15 when I purchased it some time last year.
With so many suppliers and wide range of prices it really pays off to do research before making a definite order with someone.

I've made soap today with AWOs avocado oil purchased in March last year and it's rancid. :(
I guess one year of shelf life is up and sitting in the pantry through hot summer didn't help much too.
It went into the other oils before I realised it's off. Well, all look fine now and it's only 5% of the recipe.
Maybe next time I won't buy as much (1l bottle) as I don't soap often.
Is anyone living near Costco or go to one? I'm pretty sure they sell avocado oil, possibly more than 1l for around $20.
I'll check next time, but it might be too much for me, if only I had someone to go halfsies with.

An aromatherapist has just joined our team and she gave us some very valuable information yesterday on both storing oils and making sure your supplier stores theirs properly. It seems that UV must be avoided at all costs especially with EO's while butters, fats and EO's are far better stored in a 'fridge.

She told us the story of a visit she made to a wholesaler and found boxes of EO's out in the midday sun.

We intend to try freezing some samples and later thawing to check if there has been any change.

I've made soap today with AWOs avocado oil purchased in March last year and it's rancid. :(
I guess one year of shelf life is up and sitting in the pantry through hot summer didn't help much too.
It went into the other oils before I realised it's off. Well, all look fine now and it's only 5% of the recipe.
Maybe next time I won't buy as much (1l bottle) as I don't soap often.
Is anyone living near Costco or go to one? I'm pretty sure they sell avocado oil, possibly more than 1l for around $20.
I'll check next time, but it might be too much for me, if only I had someone to go halfsies with.

1 L is $15 at new directions. Is the postage too steep? They don't load the postage.

1 L is $15 at new directions. Is the postage too steep? They don't load the postage.

I have never bought anything from them. I'm not sure how much they charge for postage?
If you've shopped there, do you know if oils come in plastic or aluminium?
AWOs avocado oil was in aluminium (I think). But it still didn't last longer than 1 year in the storage. I should really keep it in the fridge next time.
I was thinking of buying avocado oil at Costco depending on price. I'm pretty sure it comes in dark glass bottles so it should be safe from light. I live 5-10 mins from Costco and already have their membership so if any oils can be bought there, that saves me on postage.

I have never bought anything from them. I'm not sure how much they charge for postage?

If you've shopped there, do you know if oils come in plastic or aluminium?

AWOs avocado oil was in aluminium (I think). But it still didn't last longer than 1 year in the storage. I should really keep it in the fridge next time.

I was thinking of buying avocado oil at Costco depending on price. I'm pretty sure it comes in dark glass bottles so it should be safe from light. I live 5-10 mins from Costco and already have their membership so if any oils can be bought there, that saves me on postage.

New directions is in heavy duty plastic brown bottles for 1L and white bottles for 5 litres. Butters are in heavy duty buckets. They charged $20 post for a courier for about 20 kg of stuff. I was impressed. But drove there the pick up.
Just thinking of ordering fragrances from natural candle supplies and they are $15 for < 500g. Stupid. Kodys is $8 for the same amount.

Last edited:
NCS only charge $4.91 for postage from a courier, I have just over 5kgs in my cart and that's all they are charging.

Back