At what point do you judge. and ICK brown lather! [2 topics]

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittywings

Reaction score
I know that things can change a lot during a soap's curing time, but I'm curious with new fragrances, etc. when you guys decide if it's good or not.

AND

As I said while ago, I hp'd a batch (UGH) to see if someone's assertion that hp-ing would stave off discoloration from Vaniglia de Madagascar... and as well all know, that was horse-pucky, it is DARK DARK BROWN. I used a little piece the other day in the shower and though at first the lather seemed white, it's not... it's BROWN! EEW! Should I toss the soap or give it to homeless people or something?

I'm thinking I'll save the FO for candles.

HP won't do squat to stop vanilla from causing your soap to go brown. But I guess you've seen that... I hate brown soap. I don't like brown lather and the brown smear on the soap dish or counter turns me off - but lots don't mind it (go figure).

As for when do I decide? I decide 6 months after - if the fragrance still holds and it's still nice then it's good.

Ew! i don't like colored lather, esp. brown! My cinnabun fo turned pretty fast in my hp the other day. What about using a vanilla stabilizer?

I'm thinking that it's not that important to me to have vanilla soap to worry about the stabilizer. What's funny is that I first noticed the brown lather because as I washed my leg I thought, "geez, was I THAT dirty?!?" (I had just been cleaning the house) but then I did it again and nope... it was the soap! YUCK!

kittywings said:
I'm thinking that it's not that important to me to have vanilla soap to worry about the stabilizer. What's funny is that I first noticed the brown lather because as I washed my leg I thought, "geez, was I THAT dirty?!?" (I had just been cleaning the house) but then I did it again and nope... it was the soap! YUCK!

He he, funny! :lol: The vanilla part isn't a big deal for me either but I noticed some of my other fo's, such as almond and honey, coffee beans, and rice flower and shea all have vanilla in them to some degree. I'm thinking of trying the stabilizer from Bitter Creek.

Re: At what point do you judge. and ICK brown lather! [2 top

kittywings said:
Should I toss the soap or give it to homeless people or something?

Deda has a sticky on the board titled "Clean The world" where you can donate soaps that will be rebatched and sent to 3rd world countries. I assume it is still valid though I have not kept up on the thread.

you can also take it to your local women's shelter. they often have only the clothes on their backs when they arrive at the WS and i know how special i feel when someone gives me handmade soap. i think it'd be a big confidence booster for those poor women and children there.

Ooh, that's a really good idea! DH has to do a fair amount of trips to the "Wives who don't listen Shelter" ;) when on shift with the fire dept. I should give him the box of them and say "next time you go...."

Thanks!

I'm really sorry if it offended you, Artisan... it was truly meant as a joke, not intended to harm or offend anyone. It was meant to be taken in an absurdist way that pokes fun at the people who would actually believe that abuse could somehow be the victim's fault.

I, too have been stalked (VERY SCARY) and I have seen domestic abuse first-hand, though luckily it was not tolerated and the situation was quickly rectified.

I guess I choose to look on the brighter side and joke about it; but, then again, this is coming from the girl who, when her aunt was in the hospital dying of cancer said "at least your nails look amazing!" ... so I may not be the best judge of what's appropriate.... (it DID get a pretty good laugh out of everybody though ;)).

Wow for those of you who dont like brown soap, since so many that i like have vanilla turn brown what do you make? Sometimes i have to have some dragonsblood! no way to stop that from being brown!

Personally, I would care about the actual soap being brown... it's the brown lather coming off that's a little off-putting. Maybe some people wouldn't care or even notice and maybe I only noticed because I was looking for it, but I guess I just don't like the fragrance that much to deal with the headache.

debsmad said:
artisan soaps said:
I'm with Carebear - 6 months for soap

Do you wait a full six months before you use it, sell it, give it away?? Or just six months until you decide for your own personal fact filing? I'm highly impatient just trying to see my first babies thru the first four weeks of curing.... :lol:
That's how long I wait before determining if the FO is good for selling. And for new recipes it's a year. Perhaps over the top but I need to know I have a high quality product that will stand up to the rigors of time. FOs fade or morph, and formulas develop DOS. It's all part of the product development process.

I don't wait that long for each BATCH but I do it initially and I also save a sliver of each batch as a retain. Additionally if anything seems odd (the batch doesn't behave normally) then I may set it aside as well. Quality is everything. IMO.

For personal use I use it any old time I wish!

Back