Ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgawlik

Reaction score
Having trouble with ash on my piped tops.. been using the same recipe in a loaf mold with no problem, but my attempt at "cupcakes" have ashed severely. ?

30% soybean
35% beef tallow
15% coconut
*20% lard

All batches 32% water and 5% SF.

Its only happening on the piped tops

Does your loaf soap go through gel, by any chance? And how about your piped tops? If the loaf goes through gel, but the piped tops do not, then I would bet that that may be the most likely culprit. The reason I think so is because all my ungelled soaps tend to ash terribly compared to their gelled versions.

IrishLass :)

Have you tried spritzing them with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol? Every 30 minutes 3 times. If you can this will greatly reduce or eliminate the ash.

I agree with IrishLass. I have the same problem with gel -vs- non-gel. I made salt bars in individual molds and they ashed like nothing I've ever had happen. However, I do make cupcakes and spray the heck out of them with 91% alcohol and have experienced just a bit of ash where the alcohol didn't get it.

Latest posts

Back