As promised, the yellow dock batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf girl

Reaction score
As promised, here are the results of my latest yellow dock batch. All pics are from the same log. I made it about a week ago. This time, instead of adding the powdered root to traced soap, I added 1 1/2 tsp ppo (total oil weight of the batch) to the olive oil I was using (at around 65-70%). Infusion was for 60 hours (no particular reason for that length of time, it's just when I got around to soaping).

The top of the log was a very pretty raspberry pink. Here are some stacked soaps that show the tops:

DSC_1746.jpg

However, the cut sides were a different colour, quite yellowy tan. They have mellowed into a pinker colour over the course of the week, but if you cut an edge off, you can see that original yellowy tan colour. Here's a pic of, from left to right, a freshly cut egde, the brightish pink of most of the sides, and the more dusky pink of some of the outside edges:

DSC_1753.jpg

And here is a side-by-side of the duskier pink that some of the sides are and the brighter pink that other sides are:

DSC_1748.jpg

I don't really have any explanation for the difference in colour. It may be that a more full gel occurred in the brighter pink - it does seem to be the end bars that are dusky.

Anyhow, despite the odd colour variation, sometimes within bars, I do very much like the pink I got.

That is very cool soap surf girl. I love the pink color , it will be interesting to see what happens with the color , over time. Beautiful shade of pink.

Kitn

They are great. Pink is my favourite colour for soap. Do any aussies know if we can get yellow dock powder over here? TC?
And I am loving your textured tops too, I am doing that with all my soaps too lately and I love them.

I swear I can't figure out how you get that pink. It's maddening. LOL! Thanks for the awesome pics! Was this root you ground yourself again?
They look really really pretty!

I wouldn't know yellow dock if I tripped over it, but I sure am loving the colors of your soap! Awesome tops as well. :)

Jude

Thanks for the nice comments, guys! Yes, I did grind up the dried root as per my previous batches. It's ground very, very fine (not pleasant if you inhale a bit by mistake).

[edited to fix a typo]

surf girl! very impressive pink! i've messed around w/ ydp a number of times now and never been able to get such a nice pink....amazing. you mentioned you ground your ydr....where did you get the root. i've only been able to find the powder on ebay and i'm wondering if it's really the real thing..... you rock! 8)

rubato456 said:
....amazing. you mentioned you ground your ydr....where did you get the root. i've only been able to find the powder on ebay and i'm wondering if it's really the real thing....

Hi rubato! I get the root from my local health food store. It comes as sort of golden (to maybe greenish/tannish) dried up small root chunks. I use a coffee grinder to grind them.

As an aside, I pulled a few up from my yard when I was weeding the other day, and I am drying them to see if it turns out well in soap. The health food store stuff was pretty cheap, though, so it's not a real cost-saving measure, just an experiment.

Surf Girl, I luv that rose pink color. What fragrance did you use? Could you give me some clues on drying and grinding the yellow dock root? I collected some today from fields around my home. I've washed the roots and have them layed out for drying. Is there a way to speed dry them? I've seen this weed all my life and played with the seeds...but never imagined I'd go LOOKING for it...much less putting it in soap...LOL.
Thanks...
Shutejute

Latest posts

Back