Artist's Guilt / Anxiety Thread

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by I_like_melts, Jul 3, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 3, 2018 #1

I_like_melts

I_like_melts

I_like_melts

Hello! I *think* this is my first time posting in the business forum?
    Thanks for having me on the forum, if I haven't said that already. I haven't been making things very long, but I have found all advice I have gotten to be helpful.

I started making wax melts last August or so to help cope with my anxiety. Colors/smells calm me down and its good to have a hobby. It was a slow start, but I got some great advice here and tried several new waxes and suppliers. The "you should sell these" bug hit me around December-ish, after I made large grab bags for all my friends and family last Christmas. I've made a ton of wax, a ton of soap (I do something crafty almost every day and research a lot), and am told that I got a lot of things right rather quickly, and that I should feel confident selling. I don't think I've gotten negative feedback regarding anything I've sold or given away.

Long story short, I feel great making products and get good feedback and that makes me feel good, but I still get butterflies when sending things out. I read that this is a common feeling in creative industries ("artist's guilt"), so I was wondering if anyone else was having a similar issue? If so, how do you "get over it"?

Lin19687 likes this.
  2. Jul 4, 2018 #2

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin  

I've never heard of artists guilt. I've been around arty farty people all my life, sold handmade craft items, for a long long time and have never had that as an issue, simply because with whatever I've made, if I wasn't happy with it, it would never have gone out for sale. I would say that when you feel confident in your product their should be no butterflies.

Primrose likes this.
  3. Jul 4, 2018 #3

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Rather than "anxiety guilt", I get "separation anxiety" when I send my precious "babies" out the door! LOL I do love sharing the things I make and I feel proud when others pay real money for them.

4. Jul 4, 2018 #4

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin  

I agree Zany, separation anxiety can be a problem but sometimes getting money in return compensates :thumbs:.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  5. Jul 4, 2018 #5

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

For me the anxiety comes from hoping people like what Ive done. Its like exposing a part of yourself.

scard and artemis like this.
  6. Jul 4, 2018 #6

I_like_melts

I_like_melts

I_like_melts

^exactly.

That and I grew up being told I need a 9 to 5. A lot.

7. Jul 5, 2018 #7

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Yes, for me too. Although it is a bit of a perfectionist thing for me too, unfortunately.