Artist's Guilt / Anxiety Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_like_melts

Reaction score
Hello! I *think* this is my first time posting in the business forum?
Thanks for having me on the forum, if I haven't said that already. I haven't been making things very long, but I have found all advice I have gotten to be helpful.

I started making wax melts last August or so to help cope with my anxiety. Colors/smells calm me down and its good to have a hobby. It was a slow start, but I got some great advice here and tried several new waxes and suppliers. The "you should sell these" bug hit me around December-ish, after I made large grab bags for all my friends and family last Christmas. I've made a ton of wax, a ton of soap (I do something crafty almost every day and research a lot), and am told that I got a lot of things right rather quickly, and that I should feel confident selling. I don't think I've gotten negative feedback regarding anything I've sold or given away.

Long story short, I feel great making products and get good feedback and that makes me feel good, but I still get butterflies when sending things out. I read that this is a common feeling in creative industries ("artist's guilt"), so I was wondering if anyone else was having a similar issue? If so, how do you "get over it"?

I've never heard of artists guilt. I've been around arty farty people all my life, sold handmade craft items, for a long long time and have never had that as an issue, simply because with whatever I've made, if I wasn't happy with it, it would never have gone out for sale. I would say that when you feel confident in your product their should be no butterflies.

Rather than "anxiety guilt", I get "separation anxiety" when I send my precious "babies" out the door! LOL I do love sharing the things I make and I feel proud when others pay real money for them.

I keep finding that I'm doing things wrong. I just found out I'm measuring liquids incorrectly -_- Last week, it was making sure I'm buying the right fabric (copyright). Awhile ago, it was spending 20+ hours researching glitter. I guess thats part of the learning process, and I'm grateful that I haven't done anything epically stupid (For example, I found a competitor at one point that listed crayons in their ingredients for wax melts). I guess my anxiety makes me wonder about all the small details that go into my crafts, then my constant need for improvement triggers me. I pretty much stopped making soap because I'm too nervous that I"m doing it wrong/live in Florida but thats another story.

I still haven't gotten any complaints about what I'm selling and am getting plenty of repeat customers. I test everything before selling it and have never had issues using my wax around the home. If it has a low throw or looks less than perfect, I don't sell it.

Perhaps you are just aware of how new you are at this (new doesn't mean uninformed) and you don't have the confidence yet that comes from be so familiar and practiced with your process....so that makes you a little shaky. For example, I've been making soap for almost 5 years, but when I go months without making any (like recently), I feel out of practice and that messes with my head.

With all of your research you're aware of all the possible ingredients and methods that people use, good and bad, and again...without years of practice you might be second guessing yourself so much that it makes you anxious.

I am guessing you make candles. Good for you ! I didn't get the hang of it years ago... and I am still moving around 4 SLABS (I think they are 20# each) of Paraffin Wax around. They are not easy to make

I agree with the others. Once you are confident in your product yourself it's much easier to share it with others. It took me a long time to be really comfortable and now I know I have good products and am proud of what I sell. If I don't like how something turns out it doesn't get sold. It's kept for personal use or given to friends that don't care what it looks like.

I am guessing you make candles. Good for you ! I didn't get the hang of it years ago... and I am still moving around 4 SLABS (I think they are 20# each) of Paraffin Wax around. They are not easy to make

I do wax melts, I want to do candles but don't like the added fire hazard (from the wick). I make both paraffin-soy and palm tarts :) I can't tell you how much wax I went through before I got anything usable. It just took a lot of practice.

Perhaps you are just aware of how new you are at this (new doesn't mean uninformed) and you don't have the confidence yet that comes from be so familiar and practiced with your process....so that makes you a little shaky. For example, I've been making soap for almost 5 years, but when I go months without making any (like recently), I feel out of practice and that messes with my head.

With all of your research you're aware of all the possible ingredients and methods that people use, good and bad, and again...without years of practice you might be second guessing yourself so much that it makes you anxious.

That's very true - I am also in a lot of wax groups on Facebook. When a vendor doesn't do something right, I usually hear about it.

Ingredients I am confident about. I spent hours researching because I worry about the details, such as using mica or glitter (both are acceptable for melts, not for candles) I'm always trying new methods and styles out too :)

The serious anxiety was when new owners picked up my pupps but not soap or lotion. When the customers come back I do have enormous satisfaction. The separation anxiety was very unpleasant when I was selling my paintings, it felt like i sold a piece of my soul, By all means even when we make the most beautiful things (soaps, lotions, cupcakes) i would not call it masterpiece, Correct me if I am wrong

The serious anxiety was when new owners picked up my pupps but not soap or lotion. When the customers come back I do have enormous satisfaction. The separation anxiety was very unpleasant when I was selling my paintings, it felt like i sold a piece of my soul, By all means even when we make the most beautiful things (soaps, lotions, cupcakes) i would not call it masterpiece, Correct me if I am wrong

I admire you for being able to sell paintings. For me, my drawings are never done - whether they are story boards or a simple sketch - so I don't like charging for them. As far as calling soaps, lotions, and cupcakes masterpieces, they can be. For example, a lot of my wax melts have brushed mica and glitter - The last collaboration project I did I used 7 colors per 1 oz of wax (It was a 4 pack - each one had a different "base" color and three colors brushed on the surface plus glitter.) So, there can be an art to it. I follow a lot of soapers and bath bomb makers on Instagram. I've seen a lot that has made my jaw drop in terms of artistic talent and creativity :)

Latest posts

Back