Argh! What a day! Overheated Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 12568

Reaction score
Well, yesterday I decided to make my final soap for Christmas. It was a new Sandalwood FO that I've never used before.

Everything went well enough; however, after about 10min in the mold, I noticed that the soap had risen by about 1.5" and was extremely hot to the touch. I typically insulate my soaps, but this soap was obviously going to be an exception. After removing the towels from around the mold, the soap began to slowly retreat to its original level.

I figured I was out of the woods, but when I unmolded the soap today, I was faced with a large crack, oil pockets, and free oils oozing down the sides of the loaf. Argh! It smelled wonderful, but looked like something from a horror film.

I decided to rebatch it immediately, which I'm sure will leave me with usable soap - but it looks very uninviting in the mold right now. Not sure if this soaps gonna be a keeper or just end up in the bin. :thumbdown:

The FO is from Sapphire Blue in Tillsonburg, Ontario, Canada. I switched to them last year after NDA instituted their small order fee (i.e., orders less than $100 have an additional $20 fee). I like Sapphire Blue, but obviously need to experiment with their oils a bit more to see how they react. This Sandalwood FO has been my only "heater" to date.

I hate when that happens. I have a couple FO's that I cannot insulate. I put the lid on and leave a crack for the heat to escape. I also watch new FO's closely. Hope the rebatch works for you.

Well, I unmolded the re-batched soap and cut it into bars. Unfortunately, there was a huge air pocket right up the middle of the loaf. Just finished re-batching it a second time. Argh! No luck with this soap at all.

Sorry to hear..but maybe it'll work out this time :)

Also thanks for the info on the NDA min orders..I'll file that away for a company I wont order from. I refuse to order from anyone with a min order amount 'or else' unless its wholesale.

Back