Are FO and EO interchangeable

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevolutionSoap

Reaction score
Hello all,

First-time poster, short time lurker :) I'm getting ready to order my first supplies for some fun soap making. I just don't know and can't find the answer as to whether or not a recipe can interchange FO and EO.

Below is the recipe/link that I'm planning to start using to get started. I've learned so much on this site and want to thank everyone for their input on this forum.

https://www.soapqueen.com/easyrecipe-print/66671-0/

Hello and Welcome! Be sure to go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

You can use EO or FO's in your soap. You just need to be aware of the usage rates allowable. I don't use much in the way of EO's as many don't stick long term. I do use Lavender, Tea Tree, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, Mint, Peppermint once in awhile. Suppliers will have usage rates for soap. I personally don't purchase anything with less than a 6% usage rate. EO's can be trickier as some have very low usage rates. I can't see the entire recipe as a print box keeps coming up with it. But it should be a good place to start as a beginner.

The recipe is a Soap Queen one and appears to be 40/30/30 Olive, Coconut, Palm oils. Personally, I don't use palm oil any longer, but a lot of soapers do and that recipe should be a good starting point. Like shunt mentioned, a lot EOs don't last very long in CP soap, especially the citrus family. There are a lot of posts about EOs and which ones have longer lasting scents.

@MarnieSoapien it looks like she purchased a soapmaking kit from Brambleberry. I think their kits all contain Palm. Can't see them now as they are all out of stock. But they use to. I'm one who still uses palm sometimes. Though I prefer lard. It'll give her a place to start. Too much coconut in my opinion.

Thanks for all your advice to me...a man. :cool:
I didn't buy the kit because it's sold out, but I'm using it as a base of what to order.

Is there another starter recipe you would recommend?

Sorry about the gender confusion! If you are comfortable with using palm oil, then give it a shot as is! If you want to modify it, you can subsitute lard for palm. You can also decrease the amount of coconut and increase the amount of olive oil or substitute it with another oil. Some find coconut to be drying if used over 25ish%. One of the wonderful things about soapmaking is how adaptable it is. It is worth mentioning, that any changes you make, please be sure to run those thru a lye calculator so you know that you are making a safe product.

I think I would prefer to substitute the palm oil. I would like to make it as eco friendly as possible. I'll give that a try. And thanks again for the info. I've read a couple of soap making books that really taught me a lot along with this forum.

Latest posts

Back