Appropriate location to cure soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullamoon

Reaction score
I am () this close to making my very first batch of CP soap and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. To cure my soap, where is the best location to have it sit and dry for weeks? I was thinking the basement, but isn't that icky? Or can I place the cut soap to dry in a large armoir in the basement? How many of you have it right in your living area? I do have a large dining/kitchen area but I don't think I want a hundred bars of soap on display and within tempting reach of friends and family. How have you dealt with this?

Yup, finding a good place to cure is a problem, especially if you don't have a lot of room (like me!). I think a basement is ok if it is dry and cool. I think the most important consideration is to keep it out of sunlight. After that, a cool,dry spot if possible with good air circulation. I keep my cured soap in a cabinet but I would worry about getting enough air circulation around the fresh soap in an armoire. Don't place the curing bars on metal racks unless you put something down on the racks to keep the soap from touching the metal. My curing racks have to share living space with me and it usually doesn't bother me unless I have soap that smells too cloying :D

I put mine on a countertop over my washing machine. My laundry room is right inside the garage door so it makes my house smell really good when I walk in. :)

A cool dry spot somewhere.
Non humid with a bit of airflow.
Not too much light.
Only you know how hot or cold your basement is.

gettinaclue said:
Why can't you have to much light?

I have had issues with discoloration that I can only attribute to sunlight exposure. i.e. spots that were NOT DOS or anything bad and that only appeared on bars that were near a window but not on bars from the same batch that were on a lower shelf.

I agree, cool dry place is best... especially a low traffic area. Garage or basement is common if they are not also used for actvivities that stir up dust etc and are not prone to damp.

Does this discoloration happen with just the soaps that have been colored, or does it also occur in soaps that have been made without pigments or micas?

(Thanks for the response BTW)

The one that comes to mind was only colored with a bit of titanium dioxide.
I now keep everything away from the window now so I have not seen it on other batches but I assume it COULD be a factor with colored batches. It may depend on other factors... I have not really tested it.

I cure mine on the washing machine in the laundry in full light near a window and haven't had any trouble with discolouration and I use titanium dioxide in every batch as well as colours in most. The only prob is I have to keep shuffling them to another spot when I wash - I know I'll just not wash :wink: .

Relle.

I was planning on making my soap in my basement. My house was built in the 1700's and has a stone foundation and is wet during the spring (now).

Will that cause a huge problem. Its about the only safe place I have because my dogs and lye is scary.

If I keep a window open?

I lay mine out in corrugated cardboard boxes in my garage (I live in a dry climate) I turn them every day or two and after about two weeks I put them in baseball card boxes. A 15 inch long box accommodates 12 bars nicely.

I keep mine on a cookie sheet covered in freezer paper in my kitchen...made about 6-7 batches so far and it seems like they dry there okay. Now I've just got to find room for everything else I have now acquired because of soaping!

Latest posts

Back