any recipes for people with skin problems? IE exzema?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteyfoozer

Reaction score
wondering if there are hypoallergic recipes out there or some that help this condition. A friend suffers from it and soap really aggravates it. TIA

peteyfoozer said:
wondering if there are hypoallergic recipes out there or some that help this condition. A friend suffers from it and soap really aggravates it. TIA

Having suffered with it for years, I would recommend a bar that is extremely gentle and moisturizing, like a 100% castile or a Bastile that is Olive and Shea, etc etc.

Comfrey, Callendula, evening primrose - all purported to be very calming to the skin. I also know somebody that swears up and down the Neem oil is the magic cure, but you would have to do HP and superfat the neem in (CP destroys its qualities).

Any recipes for people with skin problems?

I do make a soap for folks with exzema and psoriasis. To my basic gm soap, I add 2 tbs. of colloidal oatmeal and 3% jojoba oil. I also use lard and oo in this recipe. No scent . I don't gel my milk soaps and they stay nice and white that way.

i would avoid shea, especially the unrefined, as some folks have allergies to it. same with cocoa butter and mango butter. stick with food grade oils, IMO.

A year ago on a craft show a lady approached us because her 12 year old had a very bad eczema. We started making a 100% olive oil with no fragrance for her kids. She still buys that soap from us and says that have help a lot.
So my advice will be any 100% olive oil soap preferably with no fragrance will be good to fight eczema. I do not think it will make it disappear 100%, but definitely helps.

I can vouch for the 100% olive oil bars helping. I'm somehow lucky enough to have eczema and psoriasis. Still trying to figure that one out. Anyways, it does help. Actually though. I've found that just about any handmade soap does much better then anything I can buy in the store. I think my favorite and the one that's been most gentle on my skin has been an olive/shea bar I bought from someone before I started making my own.

tespring said:
I read that Red Turkey Castor Oil is suppose to fix it too. :)

I'd be careful with that. According to The Scent Works, it's quite irritating when used straight. http://store.scent-works.com/turedscaoil.html

OTOH, they also say it shouldn't be used by people with allergies to sulfa antibiotics, which I've debunked. So take their advice (lovely lovely people, great supplier, but still) on this with a grain of salt. but Snowdrift Farms agrees. http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/fatproperties2.html

I know you weren't talking about using it straight, just cautionary info.

I've also read that it doesn't saponify and that it's not recommended for soapmaking except to superfat liquid soaps, perhaps.

Good info Carebear, I did not know that you aren't supposed to use it straight, or that it didn't saponify. TY

Rosemary soap could also help in such skin problems I think. It certainly helps me a lot.

Sapwn, thanks for resurrecting this thread. I had several questions about problem skin when I did my first craft show recently. Are you using rosemary EO? Years ago I made a dog shampoo with rosemary tea for my poor puppy with skin problems. No sure how much it helps with the tea, though.

I use oil extraction, water extraction, dried rosemary broken in small pieces and EO.

Sometimes I have itching in my hands. Washing the hands with this rosemary soap calms my hands and the itching goes away.

DSC00571.jpg

Customers with psoriasis and eczema swear by my goat milk soap with oatmeal and honey. One customer's dermatologist told her to find goat milk soap with oatmeal and honey for her psoriasis. It often clears the eczema completely and really helps with the itching associated with psoriasis.

Customers with psoriasis and eczema swear by my goat milk soap with oatmeal and honey. One customer's dermatologist told her to find goat milk soap with oatmeal and honey for her psoriasis. It often clears the eczema completely and really helps with the itching associated with psoriasis.

I was going to mention that I have a friend who begs for oatmeal, milk, and honey soap. She swears that it has cleared up her son's eczema. I'm not sure about all of that, but she loves it. I've not used goat's milk because it's hard for me to go and get it while dragging 3 kids along. But yes, the combo of the 3 ingredients seems to be a big hit for those with eczema.

We are fortunate to have goat milk from our own dairy goats. My wonderful husband takes care of the animals, milks and does all the clean up when I make soap. I sell online @ https://www.etsy.com/shop/MooreThanBags if anyone is in need of the oatmeal and honey goat milk soap. I don't know if I am supposed to say that on here or not but as a newbie to the forum I plead ignorance.

I have had eczema for years which is the major reason I started making my own soap.
For the past few winters it has mostly been on my legs and I was using a prescription cream daily to try help keep the itching manageable. It would never completely go away until about May.
I started soap making right after Xmas and have finally had an itch free winter.
I have tried lots of combinations of oils and with every one of them there was an improvement over store bought soap.
With all of them I kept my OO % pretty high .
Everyone is different and what works for one might not work for someone else .
My first thought is keep your recipe pretty simple and see if there is improvement.

Latest posts

Back