Any ideas for old oils from kitchen shelf?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twiggy

Reaction score
Hi All :) I just cleaned up my kitchen shelfs and discovered few oils that are already off :\ Big shame, but I wonder if I could do something with them, use them somehow… Maybe as a candle-kind of thing…? Any ideas? :)

I've read some posts about people that still used oils that were going bad. And it actually made good soap, I remember one issue was tracing faster because as the oil breaks down you get more free fatty acids which saponify immediately when lye is added.

You could also try cleaning it. I got the method from here, you add an equal amount of water as the amount of oil you have into a pot, add 10% salt (% of water) and bring to a boil. Agitate the oil with the water well, and then set aside for the oil to separate out. Remove the oil, discard the dirty water. I used this after I burnt some coconut oil with coffee. I repeated it 3 times, and after the second time the burnt coffee smell was completely gone, and the color of the oil changed drastically just after the first time.

Thank you for answer and that GRAT tip Lin!!!!!!!!!!! :) But that were my cooking oils I was using for salads – or better I was going to use them hehehe is sesame seed oil and linen oil. It is such a big shame to throw them away… But the bottles were way too big and I didn’t manage to use them in right time. I’m not planning to soap with them – they are really old

Latest posts

Back