Antibacterial soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindakschickens

Reaction score
Right i have not been on the forum in ages been dealing with life as ya do when it starts going pear shape.

But i stumbled across my soap making box moving things (we are remodeling our 1850's end terrace home) and i have started to get the urge to make some soap again. My lye and everything else has been basically sealed in individual air tight containers in another larger some what air tight/water tight container and it all seems good.

Now my question is can people make antibacterial soap at home? Asking as i have a skin issue that i need to use a antibacterial liquid call hibiscrub or something like that and wondering if stuff like this can safely be put into homemade soap?

Just read those and while yes soap does clean and over cleaning can be bad there are times when it is needed tho for various reasons. Also agree essential oils can help but they are not a total cure all and should not be the only course of action.

So while i got a good deal of info from the links Im still curious about the effects of using a antibacterial in homemade soap.

I'm familiar with hibiclens. The directions, you have to wash skin first, then apply and scrub (for a minute). Using hibiclens in soap dilutes it, which makes me think it wont br effective. Also, additives to soap are often used at 1 tablespoon per pound of oils, a tiny quantity would be released during each soap use. Plus, I don't know if hibiclens would be compatible for use in soap.

I'm familiar with hibiclens. The directions, you have to wash skin first, then apply and scrub (for a minute). Using hibiclens in soap dilutes it, which makes me think it wont br effective. Also, additives to soap are often used at 1 tablespoon per pound of oils, a tiny quantity would be released during each soap use. Plus, I don't know if hibiclens would be compatible for use in soap.

I was told just diluting it and wiping down whatever without having to wash it off was fine so no reactions to it on my part. I was aiming for low amounts to release during washing if used in soap anyway. but again why im wondering if it would work or if something could go horribly wrong i think i might have a experiment on the next sunny non windy day ya know just for uh scientific research..

Hibicleanse is liquid cleanser with chlorhexidine in it, that is the antibacterial ingredient.
I wouldn't trust lye not to alter the chlorhexidine or for enough of it to be in cp to be affective.
I'm all for experimenting but when it comes to health matters, just use the stuff the dr recommends.

I would have the same concerns lenarenee mentions. As an additive and in the presence of lye, I would wonder how the active ingredient (chlorhexidine gluconate solution 4.0% w/v) in Hibiclens may be altered. I expect there would be some molectular change that may render one or both chemicals to alter their desired effect.

I suggest, if you do decide to do a test, that you wear protective gear, including a respiratory mask an perform this in a wel ventilated area. If I were to do this, I would first test a minute mixture of Hibiclens with a small amount of sodium hydroxide solution. If you know how to test the purity of the lye solution, both before and after, you would at least know how much of the NaOH was 'eaten up' by the C34H54Cl2N10O14. It would be a start. But if it were me, I probably would not do this anyway. Hibiclens is designed to have long lasting effect (up to 24 hour protection after use) as it is already prepared.

You are free to experiment, but I doubt there will be enough hibiclens in the soap to be effective in killing bacteria.Hibiclens is designed to use full strength. It’s what doctors use as part of their scrubbing up routine. Even if you replace all of your batch water with hibiclens, there is only a tiny bit of soap released during a shower, with a tinier amount of hibiclens in that tiny amount.

I do plan on doing a experiment on this at some point. I can't remember how you test purity of the lye solution can someone remind me please? also from what I was told hibiscrub is not necessarily used at full strength hence why I was told to water it down a lil bit when I use it for any reason wither for me or my animals.

I do plan on doing a experiment on this at some point. I can't remember how you test purity of the lye solution can someone remind me please? also from what I was told hibiscrub is not necessarily used at full strength hence why I was told to water it down a lil bit when I use it for any reason wither for me or my animals.
https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.html
The link has how to test lye purity and other helpful information.

Back