Anti-androgen effects of 'pollutants': Essential Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxw

Reaction score
Many of you are probably aware of the issue of environmental and pollutant chemicals (e.g. phthalates and bisphenols) having oestrogenic effects and, thereby, anti-androgen effects. There's squillions of articles and research publications 'out there', for example water pollution contributing to declining male fertility and lots more ... including community reference to 'man boobs'. Wikipedia has a very concise entry, not delving very deeply, but it's probably a good starting place for those not already aware of the issue - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiandrogens_in_the_environment.

Anyways this morning I read a newspaper article referring to research that showed essential oils contained chemicals that have that effect, and lavender and tea tree EOs feature: "Essential oils possess a diverse amount of chemicals, and should be used with caution because some of these chemicals are potent endocrine disruptors."
I do not, yet, know whether those chemicals are contained in the oils right from the start (e.g. phyto-oestrogens) or whether they're a result of certain extraction processes.

I cannot find the publication, so am assuming it's not yet online or hidden in the depths of some conference proceedings, but I have emailed the author asking for a reprint or link. Once I get that I'll post a link, or image, here.

I know that even mentioning this is likely to upset some folk but, having just used lavender EO in some bars I made for my 15yo son, I am kinda interested in the Real Facts on such matters.

This was on another thread the other day and was widely covered in the UK and US press at the weekend. Pretty sure I found the article quite easily and it has definitely been published and is available online

This was on another thread the other day and was widely covered in the UK and US press at the weekend. Pretty sure I found the article quite easily and it has definitely been published and is available online
Hmmm, Google must hate me then :-(
Even knowing the main author's name I was unable to find anything. I'll search here for those other postings. Hopefully they will lead me to the publication.
Thanks very much.

I found the other thread in these forums - https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lavender-and-tea-tree-endocryne-disrupters.69543/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back