Thyme essential oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DucknBear Gracie

Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm wanting to experiment with a couple of essential oil blends for cp soap which have thyme essential oil in - Ive tried to do some research on it as I know it can be irritating and most places suggest using under 1% in order for it to still be safe. I have super sensitive skin and so I was hoping maybe someone has already trialed it/ has opinions on whether it is worth the risk of using it and if not what they recommend using in place!
The 2 mixes I wanted to try were Rosemary,Thyme and Cypress and Lavender, Thyme and Teatree (I saw someone suggest that blend on a forum and it sounded quite pleasant!)

Also the place I usually buy from sells red thyme essential oils, I've also seen white thyme and I was wondering if there was any difference between them?

I'm struggling to find much more information - both people using them and people not using them, I'd really appreciate any opinions/advice/findings!!

I can't speak to different types of thyme EO, but I do know the thyme EO I've used definitely accelerates trace.

Also the thyme odor can easily dominate an EO blend, so if you're blending for aroma only, it's probably should be a minor ingredient if your nose is like mine. I wouldn't use someone else's blend in soap without testing the blend first to see what I thought.

I'd love to hear some answers too, as I have planned to make a lemon-thyme soap soon. Maybe I'll keep out the cocoa butter if the thyme oil is going to accelerate trace.

I doubt that will make a difference. I use a base recipe that is normally well behaved and slow moving. An accelerating fragrance like thyme, clove, cinammon, etc. will cause trouble with any type of soap batter.

IMO, I prefer rosemary in place of thyme as a scent. It has a cleaner fragrance and blends better with other EOs. I mainly use thyme for its medicinal benefits.

I doubt that will make a difference. I use a base recipe that is normally well behaved and slow moving. An accelerating fragrance like thyme, clove, cinammon, etc. will cause trouble with any type of soap batter.

IMO, I prefer rosemary in place of thyme as a scent. It has a cleaner fragrance and blends better with other EOs. I mainly use thyme for its medicinal benefits.
I enjoy rosemary as well, I think i'll stick to that for now! I also see basil popping up now and again, have you tried that? I love herby scents but when I think of basil i think of pasta 😂

I agree with the suggestions to either use a miniscule amount, or save it for a room spray rather than CP soap. Your soap will accelerate even in small amounts. It might also irritate your skin, even at very low amounts. If you are hoping for medicinal benefits (beyond the nice smell), there is no guarantee that the ingredients creating those benefits will survive saponification.

If you do try it, make it a small batch for sure.

Latest posts

Back