Another green soap made with teas & green clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope the joy of taking yesterday’s soap out of the mold never ends!

Here’s a soap I made with matcha tea powder, Frontier French green clay powder and a little ground Genmaicha tea (for visual interest). The middle soap gets the closest to the true color as it looks right now. It started darkening a bit after cutting. I used one of the new resin stamps I made to lightly emboss the soap with gold clay (I don’t own any mica, but wouldn’t that be a nice touch?). This is the same batch of green matcha tea in OO that I made a couple of weeks ago and it has darkened considerably since then. The soap is a palm free vegan recipe with Shea and cocoa butters added and, even freshly cut, it’s too hard to fully stamp. The stamp itself has a lot of surface area and I will need to make a “negative” or have a custom soap stamp made if I really want to stamp deeply. I scented this batch with Tea tree, eucalyptus, peppermint and lavender EOs, following a recipe called “Revive” on the Modern Soapmaking EO calculator.

I hope you like the look of the soap and the ammonite fossil. This will be a part of my coastal and marine inspired soap series. With special thanks to @KiwiMoose, @Zany_in_CO, @KiwiSoap and @szaza for all the inspiring greens and to @IrishLass for an older post I found on how she uses rubber stamps and mica on her soaps :)

72FC78CE-691C-4EB5-8A95-4E4C894941AC.jpeg

Mobjack, your stamp is fabulous! What did you use to make your stamp? Perhaps you may get better results with a different stamping mallet. I recently purchased a teardrop mallet and am now getting much better results stamping using that mallet.

It is pictured in this post. I bought mine at Harbour Freight, but they are available at Amazon and various other places. Just a thought.

Mobjack, your stamp is fabulous! What did you use to make your stamp? Perhaps you may get better results with a different stamping mallet. I recently purchased a teardrop mallet and am now getting much better results stamping using that mallet.

It is pictured in this post. I bought mine at Harbour Freight, but they are available at Amazon and various other places. Just a thought.

Thank you Earlene. I made the stamp using a Wilton fondant mold and a little 2-part resin kit I already had. I have a mallet that should work, but will check out the one you recommend. I should be able to get a better impression on a softer soap. This recipe is hard and I actually cracked a soap (truth be told, I put the soap on the floor, put a piece of cardboard over the stamp on the soap, and “lightly” applied pressure with my foot :)). As for the recipe, in trying to make a palm free version I probably used a bit too much cocoa butter. I will adjust it down for the next batch.

We lived in a house with a slate roof once and I always loved the look of it. Your soap reminds me of natural slate. It's just so appealing to me. Good job!

We lived in a house with a slate roof once and I always loved the look of it. Your soap reminds me of natural slate. It's just so appealing to me. Good job!

Virginia has many beautiful older homes with slate roofs. Unfortunately, they’re out of my price range. I collect rocks and fossils instead!

Here’s a soap I made with matcha tea powder, Frontier French green clay powder and a little ground Genmaicha tea (for visual interest). The middle soap gets the closest to the true color as it looks right now. It started darkening a bit after cutting. I used one of the new resin stamps I made to lightly emboss the soap with gold clay (I don’t own any mica, but wouldn’t that be a nice touch?). This is the same batch of green matcha tea in OO that I made a couple of weeks ago and it has darkened considerably since then. The soap is a palm free vegan recipe with Shea and cocoa butters added and, even freshly cut, it’s too hard to fully stamp. The stamp itself has a lot of surface area and I will need to make a “negative” or have a custom soap stamp made if I really want to stamp deeply. I scented this batch with Tea tree, eucalyptus, peppermint and lavender EOs, following a recipe called “Revive” on the Modern Soapmaking EO calculator.

I hope you like the look of the soap and the ammonite fossil. This will be a part of my coastal and marine inspired soap series. With special thanks to @KiwiMoose, @Zany_in_CO, @KiwiSoap and @szaza for all the inspiring greens and to @IrishLass for an older post I found on how she uses rubber stamps and mica on her soaps :)

View attachment 40017
I LOVE the look of these! Simple and refined - very nice. I just noticed that you joined the forum on my birthday. We must be soap-sisters!

I’m checking colorants and scents today. This soap has turned a nice shade of brown and still smells wonderful. I never thought I would love a soap with an exfoliant, but this is possibly my favorite of all the soaps I’ve made. There’s just enough Genmaicha tea in the bar to add a little texture (stimulating, but not scratchy) and the texture makes the bar a lot less slippery than most. I’ve been using a bar in the shower for a couple of months and it’s holding up well. In particular, there is no deterioration of the tea, no mold, not getting soggy, etc. It’s definitely a “keeper” recipe for me.

View attachment 40017
Gorgeous!

Latest posts

Back