Amount of Water Left in Cured Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tais

Reaction score
Hello all :)
I am just working on my ingredient list for my labels and I am wondering how much water is left in a finished bar after curing? I know it won't be precise, but does anyone knows the percentage of how much water is left once soap has cured for =/- 4 weeks?

I've checked some soap bar labels and they all have water and glycerin in it. I did the math from my glycerin based on a forum here (
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/glycerin-as-by-product-of-soap-making.30304/) but I don't know about the water...would it be around 10-15% ?

I am doing cold process soap by the way :)

Enjoy your weekend!

Cheers :)

Based on my experience, a bar of soap will lose somewhere between 8% and 10% of its total weight by the time the soap is 40-60 days old. So a 150 g bar, freshly cut, will weigh somewhere around 135-137 g after cure.

You can assume all of that weight loss is water. If you know the % water in the freshly made soap, you can calculate the % water in the soap after cure.

Based on my experience, a bar of soap will lose somewhere between 8% and 10% of its total weight by the time the soap is 40-60 days old. So a 150 g bar, freshly cut, will weigh somewhere around 135-137 g after cure.

You can assume all of that weight loss is water. If you know the % water in the freshly made soap, you can calculate the % water in the soap after cure.
Hi DeeAnna

That makes sooo much sense!!! Funny thing is that I always weight my soaps right after cure and after 4-6 weeks!!

Makes me feel dumb hehehehe Thanks so much for your reply!!!

Back