Amount of Paste / Liquid Laundry Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyStacy

Reaction score
This is regarding liquid soap if it makes a difference.

My goal is to make a liquid laundry soap. Right now I use a grated fels-naptha/washing soda/borax recipe that calls for 1 6oz bar of soap, 1c washing soda, 1c borax, and 2 gal water. You melt the grated soap in 1 gallon of water, add the other 2 ingredients, and "cook" till somewhat thickened, then add the second gallon and stir, then use the immersion blender on it after it's cooled (next day).

It works well, but I'd like to try it with my own soap. And rather than grating, I'd like to try making MikeInPdx's "laundry stick" soap as a liquid soap, then diluting the paste in the first gallon of water and proceeding as normal.

His soap calls for 70% tallow, 30% coconut oil, at 0% super fat, and add 1.6 oz ppo of Turpenoid at trace.

Am I ok in assuming to substitute a 6 oz bar of soap for 6 oz of liquid soap paste?

How do I know how many ounces of paste I will be making? Is this just the added weight of oils, water, and lye given in SoapCalc, or is there more to it?

That substitution would be pretty close. Usually the soap paste contains slightly more water than the soap bar, so maybe you could replace 6 oz with 7 oz to compensate.

Yes, the soap paste is the added weight of ingredients from which you subtract the amount of water evaporated during cooking (assuming you cook it).

Back