Aluminium pot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maude.h

Reaction score
Hello soapers! I have made several batches of soap in an aluminium cooking pot, before realising. From what I understand, lye and aluminium aren't friends and a reaction can occur. My soaps look alright (no DOS or change of colour) but I'd like to know if they're safe. I was going to give lots away for xmas but I'd rather not if there is a risk of causing issues. Do I have to discard them?

Yes, a reaction does occur. Aluminum and sodium hydroxide react to make sodium aluminate and hydrogen gas. Hydrogen gas is extremely flammable and potentially explosive. Sodium aluminate can be a skin irritant. The risk from the hydrogen gas is long gone, but the sodium aluminate is a concern.

There's no way to know for certain if the amount of sodium aluminate in your soap is enough to possibly cause irritation or if it's not a problem. It might be perfectly fine ... but I don't KNOW that to be true with the facts I have on hand. Perhaps others have better information to offer that would enlighten us all.

It's one thing for you to take a risk with your own body. It's another matter entirely for you to knowingly expose others to that same risk. And it creates a thorny ethical problem if you do not disclose the risk to those people.

In my opinion, I'd err on the safe side.

Latest posts

Back