Aloe Gel or Aloe Liquid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapzoom

Reaction score
Hello, For CP soapmaking do we use packed Aloe Vera Gel or Aloe Vera Liquid..? Or would you rather recommend I use fresh home grown Aloe Vera...? What’s the best way to use this.. Scrape the gel out and freeze into cubes for the lye..? Or freshly scraped can be directly used with lye..?

Pls advice ❤️

When I had an aloe plant, I pureed the leaf and all in a blender and deducted the amount of puree from the liquid for the lye. I have also used frozen aloe juice as part of the liquid to dissolve the lye.

When I had an aloe plant, I pureed the leaf and all in a blender and deducted the amount of puree from the liquid for the lye. I have also used frozen aloe juice as part of the liquid to dissolve the lye.

Last time I use fresh Aloe Vera and froze the fresh gel into cubes. So, when I added lye to it, quarter of it got burnt and some orange bits separated which I filtered.. Then weighed that burnt amount and replaced it with water.. So lots of gymnastics when I use fresh Aloe.

Would you have any idea what exactly is going on here or why is it getting burnt..?

I use aloe juice, it easy to work with. It doesn't over heat or get weird when lye is mixed in.

The few times I've used fresh, I blended it with a little water to get it really smooth.

It really doesn't need to be froze, not sure why you got burned bits. Maybe it was pieces of the skin? I use just the gel, no skin.

I use aloe juice, it easy to work with. It doesn't over heat or get weird when lye is mixed in.

The few times I've used fresh, I blended it with a little water to get it really smooth.

It really doesn't need to be froze, not sure why you got burned bits. Maybe it was pieces of the skin? I use just the gel, no skin.

No.. I didn’t use the skin.. just the fresh gel. So I don’t freeze it and directly add lye to it? Sure..? :)

I’ll make 70% fresh gel and 30% water. This is fine or too much Aloe?

Last time I use fresh Aloe Vera and froze the fresh gel into cubes. So, when I added lye to it, quarter of it got burnt and some orange bits separated which I filtered.. Then weighed that burnt amount and replaced it with water.. So lots of gymnastics when I use fresh Aloe.

Would you have any idea what exactly is going on here or why is it getting burnt..?
I usually dissolve the lye in the discounted water and add the pureed aloe at thin trace.

No.. I didn’t use the skin.. just the fresh gel. So I don’t freeze it and directly add lye to it? Sure..? :)

I’ll make 70% fresh gel and 30% water. This is fine or too much Aloe?

I never froze it but I only used fresh two or three times, I prefer the prepared juice.

I didn't use a set amount of aloe, I scraped the gel from one large leaf and added however much water was needed to get the right amount of liquid for the recipe.
I don't see any reason 70% won't work.

The way lsg does it might be easier for you and removes the possibility of the lye and aloe reacting oddly.

Hello, For CP soapmaking do we use packed Aloe Vera Gel or Aloe Vera Liquid..? Or would you rather recommend I use fresh home grown Aloe Vera...? What’s the best way to use this.. Scrape the gel out and freeze into cubes for the lye..? Or freshly scraped can be directly used with lye..?

I would not use a 'gel' as it will most likely contain additives that make it a gel. If you use a liquid, make sure you get it from a reputable source and double check the label.

The folks I have seen use use fresh AV, don't use the skin, just the pulp. They then stick it in a blender with some water.

As for having ended up with burnt AV...it is probably because you added too much lye all at once. I make Goat Milk Soap and use frozen GM. I put my bowl in an ice bath with a tab of salt...keeps the bath water colder, longer. I then slowly add in lye in small amounts, never letting the solution get above 70F...takes a bit longer, but I end up with a really creamy white soap.

I never froze it but I only used fresh two or three times, I prefer the prepared juice.

I didn't use a set amount of aloe, I scraped the gel from one large leaf and added however much water was needed to get the right amount of liquid for the recipe.
I don't see any reason 70% won't work.

The way lsg does it might be easier for you and removes the possibility of the lye and aloe reacting oddly.

I’ve tried both methods, Aloe in lye and Aloe in oil. For some reason the Aloe in lye soaps turn out nicer for me.

I did this again today: scraped it, blended it, sieved it, chilled it, put it in the ice bath etc. — but some aloe still got burnt like before!

I think I’m going to pick the Aloe juice. Glitch is on Amazon there are so many options. I can’t quite figure out which one to pick. 🤔

I would not use a 'gel' as it will most likely contain additives that make it a gel. If you use a liquid, make sure you get it from a reputable source and double check the label.

The folks I have seen use use fresh AV, don't use the skin, just the pulp. They then stick it in a blender with some water.

As for having ended up with burnt AV...it is probably because you added too much lye all at once. I make Goat Milk Soap and use frozen GM. I put my bowl in an ice bath with a tab of salt...keeps the bath water colder, longer. I then slowly add in lye in small amounts, never letting the solution get above 70F...takes a bit longer, but I end up with a really creamy white soap.

I followed all the rules you mention - still some burnt aloe amounting to 2 grams.

Ok I’m going to buy Aloe juice. Any tips on which one? What to look for in the label? Amazon has soo many options! 🤪

I followed all the rules you mention - still some burnt aloe amounting to 2 grams.

Ok I’m going to buy Aloe juice. Any tips on which one? What to look for in the label? Amazon has soo many options! 🤪

Fruit of the earth is the brand that we all use. You can get a gallon at walmart for around $6

Regarding the "burnt" aloe bits --

After you cut a leaf off the plant, you might want to soak the cut end in some water for a few hours. A bitter, dark colored sap will leach out and turn the water brownish. I'm wondering if this may be the source of the "burnt" bits you're seeing.

Once that dark sap has been removed from the leaf, then fillet the leaf and remove the gel as usual.

I'm not any kind of aloe expert -- Carolyn (@cmzaha) was the one who shared this trick with us.

How do you burn some, but not all? And they aren't 'rules'...it's just what I do.

So when I added the lye the whole thing turned orange first, and then it turned purplish-brown and some bits floated on top which I filtered.

Regarding the "burnt" aloe bits --

After you cut a leaf off the plant, you might want to soak the cut end in some water for a few hours. A bitter, dark colored sap will leach out and turn the water brownish. I'm wondering if this may be the source of the "burnt" bits you're seeing.

Once that dark sap has been removed from the leaf, then fillet the leaf and remove the gel as usual.

I'm not any kind of aloe expert -- Carolyn (@cmzaha) was the one who shared this trick with us.

I’m going to try this next time. Thank you. ❤️
Fruit of the earth is the brand that we all use. You can get a gallon at walmart for around $6

I live in India, so any tips with what to specifically look on the label?

@Soapzoom you want the fewest additives you can find. Here is a picture of the ingredient label off the one I use.

Attachments

• 20201228_070424.jpg
    20201228_070424.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 17
Back