Aloe Darlin'!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking I might go and raid my friend's garden where she has aloe taking over, and make my own.

You'd only be helping her out, it's a service really! I wish I could help her out too... (Kidding, I got enough on my plate already, I just gotta make soap!) Can't wait to see what soapy goodness you create next!

I say: raid the garden! And then freeze it. Thats what I do, i take the aloe, clean it and make it a puree, then I used to make cubes but honestly i find it easier to shove it in to bags and lay them flat so they freeze on a thin-ish sheet. When I’m ready to use I just drop the bag on the floor to take out chunks to meassure. Works for me. Oh, just make sure to stand the cuttings for a while so all the yellow stuff oozes out of the leaf.

Aloe Vera or (Kiwi) :D.

Heirloom have organic aloe powder 200:1 just new in. It's 10g for $10 or 50 g for $35 aud, so not all that cheap. Raiding the neighbours garden looks promising.
New directions has Aloe powder 200:1 (NOT organic) 100g for $44 AUD so depending on your requirements and on who you are ordering from at the time that you need it you have a choice.

To make 1 litre of aloe juice you add 5g of the 200:1 powder to 1 litre of distilled water.
So 100g of powder should make 20L of juice.

Last edited:
I have read that aloe juice can be harmful for your liver. It was a science report somewhere stating that (and it was in the news here a long time ago).

What does aloe vera do for soap? What is the difference with and without, I guess I mean. I'm thinking, maybe I want to try it.

You could buy it cheaper on Aliexpress (or google up some of the other chinese sites that might sell it too). But, you know the Chinese food safety. In worst case it can be something cheap and slimy made into a powder, colored green or what color it has, and added some artificial flavor. Who knows, or you can take the chance since it will be used in a wash-off product. Most likely it is aloe vera powder. But I would not drink it, for sure.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...hweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_53

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered how many of you have used aloe juice in your soap and would be keen to know your experiences with both acceleration and yellowing. I think I've been getting both.
I started using it as 'my new favourite thing' about a month ago, and have been having problems with the aforementioned ever since.
I did use Aloe vera juice --from Walmart, that gallon they have--and I have gotten yellowing in the white, yes...not noticing acceleration..maybe we need to try another brand of aloe juice......I love the lather in the finished soap tho..really nice.

Too bad you can't find pure juice like we have here. Its not a drink for enjoyment or hydration, its more of a dietary supplement. I'd personally never drink the nasty stuff.

I really like fresh too but its not easy to find here and my plant really isn't big enough to harvest.
What brand of aloe juice do you use??? If you do not mind my asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
The aloe juice from walmart pharmacy. I made a batch today and got no yellowing or accelaration.

How do you use it? I just use room temp juice at 100% water replacement. Let it cool down until the container is no longer hot to the touch.

My recipe has a lot of lard, other light oils, 10% castor. No palm or butters.

Made two batches today, if anything they took longer to trace then I wanted.

Its worth a try. I have used it frozen before with no issues though. Do you use dark oils?

Is anyone using the aloe skin at all?

And what are the reasons you are adding aloe to your soap? Just curious to see if there's things I unaware of.

I use Aloe vera gel from the actual plant and discard of the skin and a lot of people tell me they like the addition of aloe in my soap but if I could use the skin as well in a puree that would be cool too.

Last edited:
I've been using Aloe Vera Powder 100X from WSP and like how the soaps turn out. I add 1/4 tsp PPO.

Is anyone using the aloe skin at all?

And what are the reasons you are adding aloe to your soap? Just curious to see if there's things I unaware of.

I use Aloe vera gel from the actual plant and discard of the skin and a lot of people tell me they like the addition of aloe in my soap but if I could use the skin as well in a puree that would be cool too.

No. I think the skin would be too harsh (as in too gritty) for the soap. And I’ll probably turn an ugly color. I just use aloe cause I have it on hand and I rather use something instead of plain water because I’m weird like that, but as for the final peoduct I dont notice any difference between aloe, coconut milk or cream, or plain water.

I wondered how many of you have used aloe juice in your soap and would be keen to know your experiences with both acceleration and yellowing. I think I've been getting both.
I started using it as 'my new favourite thing' about a month ago, and have been having problems with the aforementioned ever since.

I use aloe juice as the added liquid to my 50/50 LW. Works great. No discoloration and adds lather.

I used skin once. It blended up ok but turned ugly. Better off to use just the gel.

I find aloe to help boost lather. Not sure how fresh compares with juice. I'll have to make a batch with fresh so I can compare.

704EC0B5-1592-4548-9A7E-AA3ADC53DD15.jpeg
Look what I got!

When its not I mix a little bit of water. Just yesterday I was doing the exact same thing to my aloe ha! Poor thing ended up with just a couple remaining.

Latest posts

Back