Almond Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubbie

Reaction score
i was reading some things about oils and butters. I saw someone wrote something about Almond Butter. You mean tell me I can make soap out of what I eat with my ezekial bread?

Although I've never tried it myself, I've read of other's experiences soaping with almond butter. Most of the people were adding 1 tsp to 1 tbsp ppo of almond butter to their batches, heating it up with their oils. I've heard you need to be careful, though, because some almond butters that are sold at the grocery store are not 100% almond butter (i.e. they are mixed with soy and other things). I suppose the best way you know you're getting 100% almond butter is to grind some almonds into butter yourself.

IrishLass :)

the almond butter used in manufacturing B&B products is not the ground almond foodstuff.

carebear said:
the almond butter used in manufacturing B&B products is not the ground almond foodstuff.

Correct. I use almond butter in most of my soaps. I get cosmetic grade from BrambleBerry. It's wonderful and not even close to similar to the kind you eat. It is a very soft, mushy butter. I normally make it 5% of my recipe and it makes my soaps lather and condition wonderfully.

My favorite soap recipe is "Ultimate Almond". Coconut, Palm, Sweet Almond Oil, Almond Butter, and crushed almond shells for exfoliant and 1oz PPO BB Almond fragrance. Its other nickname is "The Hive Bringer", as a few of my family have nut allergies :)

butters in b&b are semi-solid oils, or even hard oils in the case of cocoa butter.

almond butter in your kitchen is akin to peanut butter, which is not, repeat NOT peanut oil.

Okay Awesome, thanks ...I can now stop eye balling my almond butter and i can go back to just eating it.

Well, it seems there are two different kinds of almond butter to add to soap, then. :) The experiences I mentioned as having read (and just read again to make sure I wasn't going crazy or had misunderstood :lol: ) were threads from another soaping forum that actually talked about the food stuff, not the B&B stuff. The people in the threads were actually soaping the foodstuff they had bought from the grocery store or had ground up on their own, and then added it along with almond oil to their soap.

Seems like the B&B kind would be much better to add, though.

IrishLass :)

A lot of cosmetic "almond butter" is actually cut with hydrogenated soy oil and is not made from 100% almond oil.

And yes, carebear is right, the kind you eat is made from ground nuts, not the same thing at all.

I have had no problems switching out peanut butter for cashew or almond butter in recipes. Yes it is the food kind. any kind of edible nut butter seems to work fine in a basic peanut butter soap recipe. If I was switching out an oil then I would use the other kind of almond butter.

I have had no problems switching out peanut butter for cashew or almond butter in recipes. Yes it is the food kind. any kind of edible nut butter seems to work fine in a basic peanut butter soap recipe. If I was switching out an oil then I would use the other kind of almond butter.

This post is from 2012. The only still around is IL.

Latest posts

Back