allergies to soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milla

Reaction score
I know this has probably come up before, but was mostly directed to people who sell soap. I'm a huge worry wart and am wondering what oils people could be allergic to in soap. I don't put almond oil in my soaps anymore, but I use sunflower, safflower, shea, mango, and cocoa butter. Do those cause any reactions and if so what would they be like? I'm starting to give away more soaps and I worry about these things. I put my ingredients on labels so I know it's up to the people who use them, but I'd like to be more educated. thanks.

I've been debating whether or not to use almond oil too... I feel like it's really good for skin, but I'd rather have something that most people could use without issue.
My brother's girlfriend has nut allergies, so if I give him soap, I have to write "NOT FOR ABBEY!!!" all over it. :(

Honestly, I know that nut allergies are of concern, but people can be allergic to the darnest things, so isn't it better to make what you know turns out well and label it properly with the disclaimer that it contains such and such and if you have a known allergy, do not use this product? If you make a milk soap and someone has a dairy allergy, wouldn't you just do that?

I guess I am not afraid to use all different oils, but am willing to disclaim myself up the ying yang because in the end, the user is the one responsible to determine if it's safe for him/herself (or other family members).

Thoughts?

I guess what I am saying is don't deprive yourself of soaping happiness by eliminating things that someone "could" be allergic to. If you want to make a nut batch and then a non-nut batch, just make sure to clean all your vessels and surfaces thoroughly and still put a disclaimer on the soap.

Someone recently mentioned that shea butter could be construed as a latex derivative or some such and therefore people with latex allergies would have a chance for reaction.

So, see...just an all purpose disclaimer/allergy alert on all bars and you have warned the public.

People can be allergic to almost anything. I'd personally stay away from peanut oil; cause a lot of people react on that one.
I wouldn't avoid anything else. Just label everything correctly and people will be able to choose which one of your recipes will suit them best.

jarvan said:
Honestly, I know that nut allergies are of concern, but people can be allergic to the darnest things, so isn't it better to make what you know turns out well and label it properly with the disclaimer that it contains such and such and if you have a known allergy, do not use this product? If you make a milk soap and someone has a dairy allergy, wouldn't you just do that?

I guess I am not afraid to use all different oils, but am willing to disclaim myself up the ying yang because in the end, the user is the one responsible to determine if it's safe for him/herself (or other family members).

Thoughts?

I guess what I am saying is don't deprive yourself of soaping happiness by eliminating things that someone "could" be allergic to. If you want to make a nut batch and then a non-nut batch, just make sure to clean all your vessels and surfaces thoroughly and still put a disclaimer on the soap.

Someone recently mentioned that shea butter could be construed as a latex derivative or some such and therefore people with latex allergies would have a chance for reaction.

So, see...just an all purpose disclaimer/allergy alert on all bars and you have warned the public.

I am with you......, Better to label correctly. Most people who have severe allergies, will read the label and know what they can and can't use.

I read a soapmaker's warning that I liked. Said to test the soap on
a small part of your body before using it all over. People with lots of
sensitivities/allergies should automatically do that if they have a brain.

Oh man....I can't find the web site --- can't find the source, but it was
such good advice, I printed it to permanently keep in my soap notes. It was a list of ingredients to NOT use in skin products because they are irritating or sensitizing in a lot of people:

almond extract
allspice angelica
arnica
balm mint oil
balsal, basil
bergamot
cinnamon
citrus
clove
clover blossom
cornstarch
coriander oil
cottonseed oil
fennel
fir needle
geranium oil
grapefruit
horsetail
lavender oil
lemon
lemon balm
lemongrass
lime
marjoram
oak bark
papaya
peppermint
rose
sage
thyme
witch hazel
wintergreen
sodium lauryl sulfate NO
........., but sodium laureth sulfate is okay

Thanks everybody. I will put disclaimers on and I think that will make me feel batter. I think what got me nervous is my friend said her son has bad peanut allergies and then she wanted my solid perfume that I make with almond oil. She said she'd just keep it away from him. But I told her I'd make her one with jojoba instead. She has to carry an epi pen around for him.

Then my other friend is allergic to peaches so she told me not to give her anything that has peach stuff in it. heck, who knows? She basically will get a red face/hands/hives and will have to take benadryl for a week. More of a pain for her and then she's sleepy for a week. So for her I will make a boring soap. But in the end it's up to her if she wants to use it. I'll tell her to wash her hands with it first instead of slathering it over her body!

Oh and MIL is sensitive to EVERYTHING, but she knows better and tries everything on her hands for weeks first.

Milla said:
I think what got me nervous is my friend said her son has bad peanut allergies and then she wanted my solid perfume that I make with almond oil. She said she'd just keep it away from him. But I told her I'd make her one with jojoba instead. She has to carry an epi pen around for him.

Hate to sound harsh, but -- Does she have a brain?
What's to keep the child from rubbing his skin on an area where she
has almond oil?

CastorFan said:
Milla said:
I think what got me nervous is my friend said her son has bad peanut allergies and then she wanted my solid perfume that I make with almond oil. She said she'd just keep it away from him. But I told her I'd make her one with jojoba instead. She has to carry an epi pen around for him.

Hate to sound harsh, but -- Does she have a brain?
What's to keep the child from rubbing his skin on an area where she
has almond oil?

Maybe she didn't think of that and maybe his allergies contact wise aren't bad. She said it's only if he eats peanuts. He can actually have peanut oil too. I don't want to say anything bad about her. She's a wonderful mom. Maybe she was just trying to be nice about my perfume and wanting to try it. Also I don't think you're necessarily allergic to almonds if you have a peanut allergy?

Making sure you put the ingredients on your label is gonna be your best bet. I feel like if you are going to try to make that perfect soap that no one would be allergic to something in it...you aren't going to be making soap. Have several people that the only thing they can/will use is the 100% OO otherwise they say they itch no mater what is blended with it.

I have used almond oil in almost everything I've made, and never had any flack about it; but am just starting to sub it out with cherry kernel oil; mainly because of some of the properties it has that I like for some of my massage oils & since the soap properties are just about identical--can't see keeping both in an inventory.

Have never put a warning on soaps but think all I would say is.....as with any product, if irritation occurs, discontinue use--- or soemthing to that effect..

Thanks for your input gardengoat. I think I will include 100% OO in my soap stock and I will keep using my almond oil for my "luxury" soaps.

I hadn't even thought that far. It didn't occur to me about the whole "processed in a facility that also processes nuts, soy, etc." and how that might affect others with allergies. Yikes! I'm not trying to sell anything but have been thinking about giving some of my soap away to neighbors etc. Thanks to this post I will for sure put on a list of ingredients as well as a little disclaimer. Even just to give to neighbors and friends that aren't full aware of my process. So far I just give it away to family.

I think the best thing to do is label well . I have allergies and the onus is on me to read labels .

Kitn

as the parent of two nut and peanut allergic kids I can tell you that people can be allergic to anything, including coconut oil.

the onus is on you to label clearly and accurately, and of course to do your best to limit cross contamination. the onus is on the consumer to read the label and make good decisions.

I have read that shea is irritating to some people.
I actually also have a customer who does react to my lotions with shea butter, they make her itchy. I've told her it could be the shea, she orders anyway...

As Carebear and Kittn say it it really the responsibility of the consumer to read the label.
I have always believed that the FDA requiring us to label the ingredients may be a pain but is also in our favor in some ways, we make, we disclose, we did what was required and the consumer gets to makes an informed decision whether to use our product or not.

thanks everybody. I always wash everything between uses so I shouldn't have any cross contamination issues. I always label so I guess I can sleep at night! LOL!

CastorFan said:
Oh man....I can't find the web site --- can't find the source, but it was
such good advice, I printed it to permanently keep in my soap notes. It was a list of ingredients to NOT use in skin products because they are irritating or sensitizing in a lot of people:

almond extract
allspice angelica
arnica
balm mint oil
balsal, basil
bergamot
cinnamon
citrus
clove
clover blossom
cornstarch
coriander oil