Allergic Reaction To Bleach and Rubbing Alcohol.

Discussion in 'Bath and Body Forum' started by Crownite, Sep 6, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 7, 2018 #21

    Misschief

    Misschief

    Misschief

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2015
    Messages:
    1,559
    Likes Received:
    1,725
    Location:
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    For my kombucha and water kefir bottles, I use a sanitizing detergent called Sparkle-Brite. It doesn't have any ingredients listed on the label. I buy it at my local u-brew wine shop; according to the woman who works there, most of her customers call it "the pink stuff".

    The instructions say to dissolve 3.5 grams per litre of cold water and allow your bottles/equipment to soak for 20 minutes, then rinse with hot water.
     
  2. Sep 7, 2018 #22

    cmzaha

    cmzaha

    cmzaha

    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2011
    Messages:
    8,315
    Likes Received:
    6,616
    Location:
    Southern California
    Actually Iodine is another fairly common dangerous allergent.
     
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Susie likes this.
  3. Sep 7, 2018 #23

    OldHippie

    OldHippie

    OldHippie

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2017
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    126
    Actually, it is not. "Iodine allergy" does not exist. While some people may be allergic to compounds that happen to contain iodine, the iodine in the molecule is not the culprit.
     
  4. Sep 7, 2018 #24

    earlene

    earlene

    earlene

    Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2016
    Messages:
    4,357
    Likes Received:
    3,953
    Location:
    Western Illinois, USA
    Re: iodine allergic reactions:

    This may help clarify what happens for people having allergic reactions to iodine-containing compounds:

    https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/iodine#symptoms
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321393.php
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26387623
    https://opmed.doximity.com/stop-saying-your-patient-is-allergic-to-iodine-49183dc01ee5

    The word allergy in the medical field is fairly restrictive, and often to the lay person a sensitivity is synonymous to allergy. Although a sensitivity is technically not the same thing & they are medically defined differently, to the average person having an extremely uncomfortable 'sensitive' reaction, 'allergy' certainly seems a more appropriate word. Remember, that what starts out as a sensitivity often eventually leads to allergic reactions with continued exposure. Therefore it is wise to be careful not to continue exposure to what causes sensitivity type reactions.
     
    Susie likes this.
  5. Sep 25, 2018 #25

    Crownite

    Crownite

    Crownite

    Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2018
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Maryland
    Hey everyone! Quick update, It was the latex gloves and the powder in it. lol I figured it out by slowly removing potential causes one by one and what I found was when I chucked the gloves, all symptoms including the shortness of breath and wheezing went away. Then i started reintroducing the other cleaning agents. I've had no issues with isopropyl and even the bleach so I'll stick to Nitrile gloves and other latex free gloves going forward.
     
    OldHippie, artemis and penelopejane like this.
  6. Sep 25, 2018 #26

    cmzaha

    cmzaha

    cmzaha

    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2011
    Messages:
    8,315
    Likes Received:
    6,616
    Location:
    Southern California
    Please excuse my ignorance. Mom is severely allergic to antiseptics that look and may contain iodine, but apparently she is not allergic to iodine. The hospitable list they printout shows allergies with Iodine being on the list along with the fish and a particular antibiotic. Also keep in mind what can be eaten without problems cannot always be used topically or by IV. We also had an employee almost die, literally, when he was injured at work and the supervisor applied an Iodine antiseptic. So please excuse the layman's terminology of being allergic to iodine. Whatever the troublemaker is in the products it can be deadly. Mom ended up in intensive care from a contrast mri, cat scan, ex-ray or whatever it was. Even in the medical field terminology changes and the average non-medical person only goes by what they are told.
     
    Susie and shunt2011 like this.
  7. Sep 26, 2018 #27

    SaltedFig

    SaltedFig

    SaltedFig

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    1,350
    Likes Received:
    1,166
    Location:
    Australia
    That is great news!

    It might be worth using your newly aquired super-sleuth ability ;) to check whether you react to some latex-related ingredients used in cosmetics
    (eg. a small subset of people who have a latex allergy are also reactive to Shea butter).

    Good luck (and happy non-wheezing)!
     
  8. Sep 26, 2018 #28

    Susie

    Susie

    Susie

    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,072
    Likes Received:
    8,202
    Location:
    Texas
    You need to go look up everything that can be a cross allergen with latex, RIGHT NOW. There are a BUNCH of them! Avoid all of those! Then you need to notify your doctor, pharmacist, and get a Medic Alert bracelet or necklace. Be aware that some band aids and other innocuous seeming products are made of latex. Your whole life is about to be affected by this allergy. The danger is not the rash, but that each reaction will get worse than the last. And the worst reaction can lead to death. You may want to talk to your doctor about carrying an Epi-Pen.
     
    TeresaGG and SaltedFig like this.
  9. Sep 26, 2018 #29

    dndlyon

    dndlyon

    dndlyon

    Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2018
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    47
    Location:
    Ohio
    Working in a lab we alternate between bleach, quats, and alcohol. I typically have the same issues when I've been exposed to too much too often. For me it's not just one. I'm ok if it's one or the other every now and then, but it seems my system gets overwhelmed when it's more than one or lots of cleanup.

    Regarding latex, the food industry in the US has regulated that you can't use latex gloves in food production areas due to potential allergies, so I never use latex gloves. The powdered gloves also are awful on my hands so only powerless nitrile for me.

    Maybe your system just isn't happy being exposed to the combination or concentration?

    Be careful with brewing sanitizers not only because some stain, but also a lot are acid based which can etch surfaces over time and also cause skin and airway reactions. I use StarSan and have noticed I get contact dermatitis when I'm brewing a lot.

    (Blaming autocorrect for my need to edit this)
     
  10. Sep 29, 2018 #30

    Crownite

    Crownite

    Crownite

    Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2018
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Maryland
    lol Shea butter is the love of my life! I use a lot of shea even before I started making but so far nothing...will keep monitoring.
     
    SaltedFig likes this.
  11. Sep 29, 2018 #31

    cmzaha

    cmzaha

    cmzaha

    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2011
    Messages:
    8,315
    Likes Received:
    6,616
    Location:
    Southern California
    I am one that cannot use shea butter on my lips, they will swell. Does not seem to really bother my hands, but I just do not use a lot of it in my own products. I do purchase and use a lot of shea but I use nitrile gloves when handling it. Since it can bother me I do not push it
     
    Susie and Crownite like this.
  12. Oct 11, 2018 at 10:23 PM #32

    amd

    amd

    amd

    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2015
    Messages:
    1,613
    Likes Received:
    2,042
    Location:
    South Dakota
    ^^^I have the same problem with coconut oil. I'm fine using soaps made with it, even using lotions, lotion bars, or creams, but handling the raw stuff turns my skin bright red and if I leave it too long my skin hurts like a burn for days, even after the redness has gone away.
     

Share This Page