Allergic Reaction To Bleach and Rubbing Alcohol.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crownite

Reaction score
Sigh...so I had an allergic reaction to one or two...or both of my disinfecting methods. I was initially using a 5% bleach solution and rubbing alcohol. I'd alternate between each method. But for the last week I have been having rashes down my arm as well as asthma like reactions. I took my self to the emergency room earlier this week and was put on steroids for a week.

I've been trying to really figure out what caused the issue. I tried making lip balm and disinfecting with isopropyl...reaction. I made some lip balms and used only bleach for disinfecting my equipment and overnight noticed that a few small bumps started to emerge again down my arm in addition to the feeling of having to catch my breath. I have not used anything on my skin so I'm think that it's both of these that likely caused an issue for me. I always wear gloves but I have now decided to wear long sleeves and have as little contact with any of the stuff but it hasn't really stopped the reaction.

Is there anything else I can do to disinfect my equipment for use? Good ol' soap and water and drying everything THOROUGHLY sufficient? Praying someone with expertise says yes.

Here is a link for some information on disinfectants and usage. I use an alternate disinfectants. Bleach does not agree with me and some bacteria is becoming resistant to alcohol from the high use of hand sanitizers, so I no longer depend on just alcohol. I will ask if you are sure you are not allergic to the gloves? Do you use Nitrile gloves with no latex or powder? I am deathly allergic to latex gloves.

https://www.education.nh.gov/instruction/school_health/documents/disinfectants.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/infe...ning-disinfecting-environmental-surfaces.html

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's also a latex reaction. It could be? I have been using latex gloves for my lotion making but the reason I left it out was because of the location where the reaction seemed to start. It did make its way to my hands and fingers but was initially around the inner medial side of my elbow, around my ulna. So I was thinking, "what do I know came in direct contact with the area?" Bleach, Rubbing alcohol...but the last time I had a reaction I was wearing long sleeves, gloves, and made sure no liquid substances touched my skin...so yeah, it's possible. The only thing I haven't tried switching up is the use of latex gloves. I'll try Nitrile gloves and see if it makes a difference. When I think about it...I did have a slight rash on my face too and while I don't remember getting rubbing alcohol and bleach on my face I do remember touching my face with the gloves and then chucking the gloves and replacing them to avoid contamination.

I was looking at the list. I can use hydrogen peroxide for disinfecting? Is this a special type of hydrogen peroxide or is store bought like from Giant sufficient? I'm certainly willing to give that a try too...

Hydrogen peroxide is effective at killing microorganisms, but it is dangerous for eyes and soft tissues, especially once the concentration goes over 3% (the standard over the counter concentration here). It is also in 6% as well, but at that strength it can cause permanent eye damage and blistering on the skin, so you would absolutely need gloves. Don't breath it in as a mist either. It can be very bleaching to clothing (or any other organic material). We've got something called Hydrosil here, which is a water treatment that apparently contains silver as well (I haven't looked at it, but silver is a known anti-microbial as well).

Bottle sanitiser might work (like for beer/wine bottle washing) ... the ones here they are acid based (Brew San is Phosphoric acid based), which again you would need to wear gloves for, but shouldn't create much, if any, fumes.

Tsunami 100 by Ecolab is an example of an acetic acid and peroxide cleaner used in the food industry (it's like an industrial strength version of the home cleaning vinegar/bicarbonate mix) - that might be getting a bit extreme for what you want :)

Like Carolyn (cmzaha) I am severely allergic to latex. I break out in blisters and sores. I only use nitrile. However, it's generally localized to just where the gloves etc touch. You may want to consider wearing a mask as well if what you're using causes difficulty breathing.

Latex can cause breathing difficulties. Not sure if it’s the powder or the latex itself. I used to think it was an excuse DH used to get out of doing the dishes until I saw his reaction. Wow! Severe - like hay fever - running nose, breathing difficulties and rash.

I haven't been disinfecting my bottles but for cleaning my equipment (pyrex jugs, spoons, scale, cups), I guess I can try OTC hydrogen peroxide? I'll keep wearingg long sleeves and switch to nitrile gloves and see what happens....

Simple boiling works well for things like jugs and spoons; cleaning and then sanitising with an OTC peroxide solution should be fairly effective.

I also question the powder in some gloves as being a possible cause of reaction. There is also some thought that the plasticisers could be an issue (but it's worth trying the powder-free nitrile just in case it's a latex only problem). There is also a barrier cream that you can buy, which gives about 6 hours of chemical protection, if you find that you are still reacting to the gloves (I had that recommended to me by my chemical supplier, but I haven't tried it yet, so it's only by reputation rather than use that I'm suggesting it - just in case you need something other than the nitrile).

Last edited by a moderator:
I let my bottles, utensils and containers soak in a solution made with this stuff, for a few minutes and then drain them on new paper towels.

Like Carolyn (cmzaha) I am severely allergic to latex. I break out in blisters and sores. I only use nitrile. However, it's generally localized to just where the gloves etc touch. You may want to consider wearing a mask as well if what you're using causes difficulty breathing.
I can go into anaphylactic shock from latex gloves plus severe blisters and sores that will actually travel up my arm.

There are many sanitizers used for brewing. My personal favorite is BTF Iodophor sanitizer.

It kills whatever it needs to be certified by NSF as a sanitizer for food processing.

Latest posts

Back