ALL NATURAL Emulsifier

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugogarcia

Reaction score
I have formulated some GORGEOUS lotion recipes using beeswax/borax as my emulsifier. I planned to use Tinosan SDC as my all natural preservative until I learned it is not compatible with beeswax/borax formulas. The only alternative I can think of (to keep my products 100% natural) is to use a different ALL NATURAL emulsifying wax. I have heard that Carnauba wax is all natural. First of all, is this true? And second of all, does anyone have experience working with beeswax vs carnauba wax that can tell me how the different waxes affect your formulas? Are there any other truly all natural emulsifiers that will give me the same effect as the beeswax/borax?

So does the harder carnauba wax make the lotion more "stiff" than using beeswax? What differences in my lotions should I expect if I make the switch?

How much time are we talking? I haven't experienced any separation so far over several months time.[/quote]

I wouldn't call necessarily call borax any more natural/safe than an emulsifying wax... wikipedia has this to say about borax:

"A reassessment of boric acid/borax by the United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs found potential developmental toxicity (especially effects on the testes).[11] Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants, especially after repeated use because of its slow elimination rate.[12]"

Emulsifying wax seems pretty harmless to me, I'd much rather rub ewax on my skin than borax.

You get the separation because Beeswax & Borax are thickeners not emulisifiers. Not all things scientific are bad for us and Ewax is one of those. It allows you to create a stable formulation with a oil in water or water in oil emulsification. Just make sure you are using a high quality preservative because even if you can't things growing without using it, trust me they are there. Even if you're only making it for youself and not selling safety is vital....... just sayin'.................

All it says is Emulsifying Wax NF
Ingredients: Plant sourced cetyl/stearyl alcahol

I won't go into the specifics of why beeswax/borax is only applicable as an emulsifier in a water-in-oil emulsion (ie cold cream) and not an oil-in-water emulsion (lotion) - you will have to do that research yourself. The Herbarie carries an ECOcert emulsifier called Natramulse, and the same product is carried as Ecomulse at Lotioncrafter. This product will get you an actual emulsion that is stable and safer to skin then beeswax/borax. HTH!

Back