Alkanet success ... I think!! (new pic!)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyM

Reaction score
Just tried my first Alkanet infused OO as a part of my recipe.
The infused oil was more dark pink then turned a gorgeous earthy purple when I added the lye.

Can't wait to uncover it tonight, hoping it lasts!

P1020661.jpg

Re: Alkanet success ... I think!!

I would really love to know the answer to that. I'd also love to know how an herb can colour soap, if adding herbs themselves to soap turns the herbs brown....?

Not everything turns brown in soap.
Thankfully a bunch of herbs and spices keep their color! :)

I've used Alkanet Root many times...when I first add the lye, it turns a beautiful vivid purplish-scarlet color :shock: then goes deep bluish-purple...after cure it can be anywhere from lilac-grey-purple to navy-black, depending on how much I used. I infuse it in Olive Oil usually, but I have added the powder at trace to a bit of my soap batter for a swirl with the same color results. It's one of my favorite Colorants (purple just happens to be my favorite color :wink: ) that I keep tweaking trying to get more purple than purplish grey. I haven't had a problem with it darkening lather no matter how dark the soap looks.
On a side note, Ratanjot is the same as Alkanet Root, if you can find it at an Indian food store.
Hope you post pictures after you cut that soap! :wink:

ETA: the color will change as the pH changes during cure

Alchemy&Ashes said:
I've used Alkanet Root many times...when I first add the lye, it turns a beautiful vivid purplish-scarlet color :shock: then goes deep bluish-purple...after cure it can be anywhere from lilac-grey-purple to navy-black, depending on how much I used. I infuse it in Olive Oil usually, but I have added the powder at trace to a bit of my soap batter for a swirl with the same color results. It's one of my favorite Colorants (purple just happens to be my favorite color :wink: ) that I keep tweaking trying to get more purple than purplish grey. I haven't had a problem with it darkening lather no matter how dark the soap looks.
On a side note, Ratanjot is the same as Alkanet Root, if you can find it at an Indian food store.
Hope you post pictures after you cut that soap! :wink:

ETA: the color will change as the pH changes during cure

Love it! The batter in my soap pot did seem slightly more blue before I washed.
How long does it take your soap during cure to reach it's final color? Seems so unpredictable!!
Do you prefer Alkanet over Ratanjot?

LadyM said:
How long does it take your soap during cure to reach it's final color? Seems so unpredictable!!

I would say by 4 weeks it will be the color it will remain at, for the most part. Not a huge difference between 2 and 4 weeks, but definitely lighter and less navy blue. Here are two examples of the color I've gotten with Alkanet...both are a bit lighter towards purple than when I took these pics:
[attachment=1:zwf7uxtv]Aquitane_Album.jpg[/attachment:zwf7uxtv]
[attachment=0:zwf7uxtv]Saxony_Album.jpg[/attachment:zwf7uxtv]

Funny story: I had used Alkanet Root a few times and kept getting these dark greyed out purples. After some research, I read that Ratanjot was used for purple also, and that it could be found at many ethnic (usually Indian) food markets. So I go to my local Indian market and ask if they have "this" - I showed the clerk my phone with the word and image...I didn't want to pronounce it wrong :oops: and he says he'd never heard of it. So I thought, maybe there is a different name for it <Googled> and BAM! Alkanna Tinctoria. Alkanet Root! :lol: So thought I would save anyone else that OOPS moment and let you know, Alkanet and Ratanjot are one and the same :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Aquitane_Album.jpg
    Aquitane_Album.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 922
  • Saxony_Album.jpg
    Saxony_Album.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 914

That's a pretty color. Please post a pic of the soap because I'd love to see it. :D

@Alchemy&Ashes - Those are great looking soaps. I love the swirl in the top pic.

Wow ok so Alkanet and Ratanjot are the same thing!!! Totally didn't get that! So good to know.
I think I'll still with the word Alkanet ;)

Sorry for the multiple posts...stupid iPad touchscreen! Must be the Apple Gremlins :evil:

Those are beautiful soaps!

I have found that it really helps to store the soap in a dark place to keep it from fading.

I have gotten anywhere from grayish purple to denim blue. The % of superfat and the color of your base oils will affect the final color you get.

I think it's very pretty.

LadyM,

It will be interesting to hear if this soap keeps changing colors.

Alchemy&Ashes said:
Sorry for the multiple posts...stupid iPad touchscreen! Must be the Apple Gremlins :evil:

Not a problem. I took care of them. I didn't realize this was the Lindy soap (which is very cool).

It worked! The purple is lovely ... but it's a bit grapey looking for me to go with Lavender.
I'm going to try using less to get a lighter Lavender look.

We'll see how it goes through cure. Hope it lasts!

P1020666_2.jpg

Alchemy&Ashes said:
LadyM said:

I would say by 4 weeks it will be the color it will remain at, for the most part. Not a huge difference between 2 and 4 weeks, but definitely lighter and less navy blue. Here are two examples of the color I've gotten with Alkanet...both are a bit lighter towards purple than when I took these pics:
[attachment=1:3ujhhxki]Aquitane_Album.jpg[/attachment:3ujhhxki]
[attachment=0:3ujhhxki]Saxony_Album.jpg[/attachment:3ujhhxki]

Funny story: I had used Alkanet Root a few times and kept getting these dark greyed out purples. After some research, I read that Ratanjot was used for purple also, and that it could be found at many ethnic (usually Indian) food markets. So I go to my local Indian market and ask if they have "this" - I showed the clerk my phone with the word and image...I didn't want to pronounce it wrong :oops: and he says he'd never heard of it. So I thought, maybe there is a different name for it <Googled> and BAM! Alkanna Tinctoria. Alkanet Root! :lol: So thought I would save anyone else that OOPS moment and let you know, Alkanet and Ratanjot are one and the same :mrgreen:

I thought the same thing until I found 3 diffent pant speciese for the two. Real Ratanjot has the species name Onosma Echioides and has yellow flowers that droop. Alkanet root can go by 2 different names one for the root and one for the powder. Alkanet root goes by Alkanna Tinctoria which had blue flowers that open. Alkanet root powder goes by Batschia Canescens has yelloe flowers that open. They all come from similar plants of the same family, but looks like different plants. Weird???? Maybe you would get diffent results from the diffent species?

It looks like the mix up is in calling the plants by the same name. Cranberrylanestore.com has the realy Ratanjot power.

Back