Alkanet Root in lye water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syllvviiaa

Reaction score
I want to try Alkanet root to get a purple colour soap. I read about infusing in oil and infusing in the lye water. I understand there are all different kinds of effects that can happen.
So I thought I'd go with adding to lye water and now the lye water looks like dark brown. Is this ok? Will I still get purple? or will it be brown? I haven't made the soap yet. I'm wondering if I should just pitch the lye water and rethink what I'm doing.

This is outside my experience, so I have no advice to offer, but I know two members who might be able to advise.

Calling @Mobjack Bay and @Dawni!!! Do you have any suggestions or thoughts?

Jo Haslauser is another forum member who is very experienced with natural colorants, but I don't remember her SMF handle in order to tag her. Per Jo's e-book, I've only used alkanet as an oil infusion, and have never added it directly to lye. Her book does provide a way of testing a colorant's reaction to lye, before committing to a batch of soap with it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'll be interested to hear the outcome, assuming someone here has tried this before.

Might want to be more circumspect about giving full names. Not everyone wants their real name outed in social forums. Jo might not be bothered by this, but ya never know....

I'd suggest using it still... It won't give you too dark a brown I think, depending on how much you used. Maybe a light coffee color... And you never know lol it might surprise you.

I've not tried alkanet, but I have it's cousin ratanjot... And unfortunately I got brown soap several times if used in the lye water. It's better as an oil infusion, and will need more than usual for noticeable color otherwise it'll be a pale pastel.

Of the ones I've tried, the best to use in lye water are the clays, manjistha (cousin to madder), red sandalwood and indigo (not the Chinese one).

Most my experience is HP though, but until trace its more or less similar to CP, so I think this can apply to both.

I've used alkanet root. Yes its a muddy reddish brown color in the lye water. Go ahead and use it. Don't panic if it turns olive green in the fresh soap batter either! After a few days the color will settle in.

full

I talk about the making of these soaps in this photo, using alkanet (in lye solution; oil infusion; mixed in water)
in these two posts: this post and this post. I was not expecting such a deep dark purple, but I certainly was thrilled. My first use of alkanet (same container of powder) produced grey that was extremely disappointing.

The amount of alkanet used seems to have made the difference in how deep the color turned out, as well as the method (lye, oil infusion, water).

I've made a couple of batches with alkanet. I infused it in olive oil for about 6 weeks. The lighter one (10%) I only made about 10 days ago and it was that lovely smokey blue colour...it's now quite grey. The round one (20%) was made on the 25/7 and hasn't changed at all. Same formula btw.
Have never tried putting it in the lye.
IMG_20201102_231815.jpg00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20201102231859845_COVER_2.jpg

I tried it in the lye water. The smell was awful. I ended up with a light brown soap. Not very attractive. It is still brown after a week. I prefer oil infusio.

73A0D454-FA8F-4055-93AE-043FDE75099F.jpegCD644B2C-ED15-4F37-B83A-B9DBAD14DF98.jpeg
As you all know, I’m still working on things, but I made this soap in sept using alkanet. I apologize for taking partial pictures but I was practicing stamping 🙄 so both sides are stamped up. This is the same bar at different angles. I added alkanet in one of the divided batters at trace. I was pretty happy with the color. I had made another soap with it which turned out more gray. I’m watching this one to see what happens. I have some other bars but they’re all stamped up too 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 11
I've used alkanet root. Yes its a muddy reddish brown color in the lye water. Go ahead and use it. Don't panic if it turns olive green in the fresh soap batter either! After a few days the color will settle in.
i just used alkanet root powder for the first time trying to make a lavender soap. i infused 1tsp ppo with my hard oils as they were melting. strained the oils and got a nice but not very deep burgundy color. when i mixed in the lye my soap turned a bright blue/green! really hard to imagine how this will turn into purple... which is what i was going for.

Back