Airborn particles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sperry

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first day I did more than a couple bars of M&P at a time. For reasons too boring to explain, I start the process in the micro-wave, and finish it in a roaster oven half filled with semi-boiling water. There are 3, four cup measuring cups in the roaster oven, each of them holding 8 ounces of melt. By the end of the second batch, there was definitely something that felt like a thin layer of soap coating my tongue and roof of my mouth. If it's in my mouth, it's in my lungs. I don't think it's toxic, and I've read the lungs are sort of self-cleaning, so I'm not worried about this one incident. But I am not going to keep doing it. Anyone have a similar problem? Anyone do anything about it?

I've used a microwave and not had a problem, and a double boiler and, once I stopped dotting on the soap, I didn't have a problem. But the roaster oven produces a ton of steam which is in contact with the melt. I have to assume that when I open the lid of the oven, that the steam that pours out has soap in it. I now open the oven away from my body, hold my breath, and have bought a mask. So far, so good. If I ever go into high production, I will install a fan in back of me.

Latest posts

Back