Air bubbles hassle

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieSoaper

Reaction score
I'm using a stickblender to mix my batter, but I'm finding I am getting lots of air bubbles. I put the SB into the mix on an angle to stop any air getting trapped under it. I tap the SB just to make sure. But still I get bubbles. Should I use it on the slowest speed? Maybe I should get my mum to buy a different model? Do you think the head style makes a difference.

I did notice my oils seem to have little bubbles in it too, before I add the lye. Would this be the problem?

I don't know what to do to stop this. Please help!

I find keeping the stick blender completly submerged at all times really helps. My soaping SB is very different from my cooking one in that it tends to trap and splatter the soap batter when I blend up towards the surface causing mor bubbles, I think this is due to the SB heads design.

The trick is to stick blend a few seconds and then stir the batter to get the bubbles out, you repeat this until you reach trace, this is what I do and have no problems with air bubbles. Hope this helps :wink:

My SB had a problem with the seal that caused lots of bubbles. Another soaper identified the problem when I posted pics. I got a new one and no more trouble. I also got a less powerful one with a smaller and less round bell shape at the end. It takes a little longer but the end result has been better. The new one is a cheap Hamilton Beach, it was less than $20. The old was a stainless steel Cuisinart.

You might want to switch to a container that's narrower and higher. The stick blender needs to be submerged so you don't mix air bubbles into the batch.

I hear you!! I used to use an Oster and it was a bubble nightmare, even following all of the right "do this" things.

I just finished making a bunch of batches with my new Hamilton brand (much lower wattage) and so far so wonderful!! It's not perfect but almost.
Do some research and find a low wattage brand and then hand stir btwn bursts and after stick blending to let the bubbles go away. Good luck!

LadyM said:
I hear you!! I used to use an Oster and it was a bubble nightmare, even following all of the right "do this" things.

Oh Oster! Every discussion of "what stick blender..." has at least one person saying "Oh NEVER an Oster! Bubbles in my soap! And then it breaks anyway!"

I know! Someone had given me one and so it's what I was trying to make work until I finally got wise after reading all of the "Not an Oster!" posts.
I'm now Oster free and soooooooo happy!!
See ya later Oster!!!

:)

Back