advice on a new recipe: PKO instead of CO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbers

Reaction score
I have two questions about a new recipe.

My little sister has an allergy to coconut oil and she is getting kind of bored with plain, unexciting, and slimy castile, so I wanted to create a new soap substituting the coconut oil with PKO (flake form). I've only made soap with PKO in addition to coconut oil and have never used it to entirely replace the CO. Can I use the same amount?

Second question: I wanted to make this PKO soap my very first lard soap as well. I've never used lard but I keep reading about how people love it and I'm dying to try. I just purchased my first small tub of lard from the Walmart today :)

I took my shea butter recipe and substituted the CO for PKO, the PO for Lard, and the SB for Castor oil. I changed the numbers a bit and this is what I came up with for a 1lb batch of soap:

6oz OO
3oz PKO
5oz Lard
2oz Castor Oil

with 33% water and 10% superfat.

I'm not too sure about the soapcalc numbers:

Hardness 36
Cleansing 13
Conditioning 60
Bubbly 24
Creamy 35
Iodine 64
INS 137

I would love some feed back and suggestions. Thank you.

I think it looks like a good recipe for sensitive or dry skin, very similar to many of my soaps. I often swap out PKO for the CO in recipes, just run the new oil through a lye calculator.
I think you will like the lard too, it produces a creamier lather then palm does. It just feels nice.

Awesome thanks so much! I value the input greatly as I often read the good advice you guys give to others!

I LOVE PKO!! It's by far one of my faves and I don't see how you would have any trouble subbing all the coconut oil for PKO. Good luck!

Another sub for CO is Babassu. Its a bit pricier but I know soapers that swear by it who have allergies or sensitive skin and can't take any CO in their soaps at all.

Latest posts

Back