advice for beer soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I'm making a simple lard soap with a double chocolate stout for the liquid. I am planning on concentrating the beer down at least half, probably more.

Will add the lye only to the water to help prevent over heating of the beer. My question is, when do I add the beer "syrup"? Do I add it to the lye water once its cooled some or do I wait until the water is mixed into the lard?

Also, this stout is very dark, will it keep its color or do I need to add something to keep it dark? I figured a bit of baking coco would make a nice color if needed.

I add my syrup at trace mt soap took on the beautiful Carmel color of the beer. It had a faint beer smell next time I'm gonna get stout FO.

Thank you, add at trace it is. I don't particularly want it to smell like beer but faint is ok, mine will be unscented since its for hubby and he doesn't like scent in anything.

I add my lye to my water and let it cool. Then I add the beer concentrate. The mixture will heat up again and maybe froth (use a large container). Once it's cooled down a second time, then I soap with it. No overheating in the finished soap.

Beer makes a wonderful lather!

Do you wrap the molds for gelling or will it be ok just to sit in the oven to hold in any heat?

I added my reduced chocolate porter at trace, soaped cool and full water. It behaved very well, but I expected the color to be much darker, it was a light tan. I used some citrus essential oils, and it doesn't smell like beer at all.

I'm hoping to add a little cocoa powder to most of the mix and leaving some lighter so I can make a layered affect like a head of beer. Might even try a pencil line, depends on how fast it sets.

Wonder what some good scent combos would be for beer soap. I feel like if you make it with beer, it should be scented with something that at least matches with the action of drinking beer.

I won't be scenting it since hubby thinks its too "girly" and this is mainly for him. I have some orange dreamsicle FO that I think would be great with it or maybe something spicy like chi tea. Personally I hate the smell/taste of beer and wouldn't want to rub it on myself. I do believe there is beer scent though for those who like it.

Latest posts

Back