Adding super fat to master batched oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welsh black

Reaction score
I know this might seem to be a silly question, but here goes!! I've been master batching my oils at 5% super batch If I want to super fat at say 8% do I just add 3% of another oil of my choice of the total oil weight. So if my original receipe is 1000 grams of oil, do I just add another 30 grams of oil. Does it matter what oil I use and do I have to run it through soap calc. I'm confused !!

I would probably use mango butter or avocado oil, that is just my preference as both are high in unsaponifiables. You are adding a little over an ounce of superfatting oil or butter, so yes, run the recipe with the extra oil through a lye calculator.

However, if you are using oils with a higher rate of unsaponifiables you will likley end up with more of those oils as the superfat.

I was thinking on that - is it enough of a difference that it would be significantly different than a % of the spread of oils? It would depend on the oils in question, of course, but would be interesting to see.

Back