Adding Sugar for Lather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewDM

Reaction score
I heard that adding sugar to the liquid mixture before adding the lye is a good way of increasing bubble in the lather.

My question is, what type of sugar can be used? Can raw cane sugar be used?

Raw cane sugar can indeed be used, however, the color will change. I use plain granulated sugar because it is cheap and does not discolor my soap.

I am a little more choosy as to when I add it. I take a small portion of my total water weight as hot water to dissolve the sugar, then I use room temperature water to dissolve the NaOH. Then I add both portions to the solid oils to melt them, then add my liquid oils. This keeps the sugar and lye from overheating and "burning" the sugar. I am sure this is being overly careful, but it is how I do it.

Last edited:
Raw cane sugar can indeed be used, however, the color will change. I use plain granulated sugar because it is cheap and does not discolor my soap.

I am a little more choosy as to when I add it. I take a small portion of my total water weight as hot water to dissolve the sugar, then I use room temperature water to dissolve the NaOH. Then I add both portions to the solid oils to melt them, then add my liquid oils. This keeps the sugar and lye from overheating and "burning" the sugar. I am sure this is being overly careful, but it is how I do it.

same

I'll be the rebel then - I just stir the sugar right into the room temp water - its almost always the raw sugar I have on my counter. Once its dissolved I toss the lye in with gay abandon, stir till its all dissolved and carry on with the rest. Come to think of it - I think this is also a pretty good way of guaranteeing gel ...

I use regular granulated for it dissolves easier. I take my room temp water, dissolve sugar at 1 tbs ppo, and fully dissolve it. I then put my lye into the sugar water. I've done this every batch thus far. Works great. Last batch I used a steep water discount for the lye crystals because I was using GM and avocado puree in the oils/soap batter. That's the only time it heated the sugar enough to make a slight golden color. After all the mixing, however, it had no effect on the final colors.

Last batch I found out I was out of granulated sugar and I used confectioner's I had laying around. FWIW I used 1 Tbsp PPO.

Simply add the sugar to your distilled water and stir until the water is clear. It doesn't take very long. Then add lye and stir periodically until dissolved. I use 1T PPO of granulated sugar.

Im on the bandwagon too..I just mix my regular granulated sugar in my room temp water, stir till dissolved, then add my lye and dissolve that as well.

I don't know who all uses, or has used, pure cornstarch in their soaps..but if you have used powdered sugar, then you have added cornstarch..{its ground granulated sugar with a mix of cornstarch} ;)

For those who use sugar regularly, have you ever noticed a difference in the texture and feel of the bubbles?

I only used sugar 3 times (1 tsp ppo), and I really didn't like how it affected the texture of the bubbles. With two batches of bastille, identical except for sugar and sugared bars turned out to have small (not creamy) hard and tough bubbles. (I won't even use them)

For those who use sugar regularly, have you ever noticed a difference in the texture and feel of the bubbles?

I only used sugar 3 times (1 tsp ppo), and I really didn't like how it affected the texture of the bubbles. With two batches of bastille, identical except for sugar and sugared bars turned out to have small (not creamy) hard and tough bubbles. (I won't even use them)

I do know what you mean. I ran out of Castor Oil and have had to use sugar for a bit. Bubbles galore but smaller and I can't put my finger on the rest but you're description is same same.:razz:

I just used sugar for the first time today (the raw sugar). I put 2 packets into my container, added my cold liquid and then my lye. Out of laziness, I dumped my whole lye in two segments and then added that to my oils. The solids barely melted, but I'm more surprised at the fact that my soap didn't seem to gel.

I do know what you mean. I ran out of Castor Oil and have had to use sugar for a bit. Bubbles galore but smaller and I can't put my finger on the rest but you're description is same same.:razz:

Thanks for chiming in Goji; good to know I'm not the only one that noticed
the difference.

Latest posts

Back