adding clays. oatmeal and milks.

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dksoaper

Reaction score
New at soaping. What are the advantages of adding clays, oatmeal and milks to soap batter? How much of each per lb. of oils? Thanks!

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to say "new to soaping" at the start of every post, it's okay!

Your question has any answers, including "none at all when using milk" - someone did a blind test to see if powdered milk was not as good as liquid milk but included soap with just plain water. The plain water was the preferred one!

So no matter what answers you get and what your further research in the older posts here tells you, always see if it is actually so for you and your skin. Just because someone says that a certain clay doesn't bring much to the soap doesn't mean that you won't like it. The opposite also applies - just because someone likes it doesn't mean that you will

Debs

Reaction score
These are really useful links thank you! I'm just at the experimenting stage with colouring and have thought about clays but haven't yet 'dabbled' i did learn a seriously important things from the clay link however - that the USA and UK teaspoon and tablespoons are different!!

BattleGnome

Reaction score
A US tsp is 5ml, does that mean a U.K. tsp is 4.5ml? Or is it some weird fraction that makes conversion an issue?

Edit: I looked it up a U.K. tsp is .83 a US tsp and an Aussie tsp is .99 of a US tsp

and Canadian is maybe different?

Last edited:

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
These are really useful links thank you! I'm just at the experimenting stage with colouring and have thought about clays but haven't yet 'dabbled' i did learn a seriously important things from the clay link however - that the USA and UK teaspoon and tablespoons are different!!
Yep, all teaspoons and tablespoons are not created equal, throw aussie ones into that.