Add silk to masterbatched Lye/Water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katsntx

Reaction score
Yesterday I mixed up a masterbatch of 50/50 Lye/Water and thought I would try adding silk to it. I use silk all the time, but never with my masterbatches. My thought was to just strain it before using but now a day later, it looks thick and has ALOT of broken down fibers in it. I tried to strain it, but my strainer isn't fine enough to get it all out.

Has anyone done this before? I ran it through the strainer a few times, but it still seems kinda goopey. I don't know if I should throw it out or continue on. Thoughts? And even if I need to throw it out, where would I 'throw' it??:eh:

I add silk to my masterbatch 50/50 lye solution all the time. It will make the solution thicker than usual, but mine usually always dissolves all the way with not fibers/hairs in it. you could try maybe stick blending the lye solution to see if that helps.
No need to throw it out, even if you can't get the fibers/hairs out - it will be fine in the soap, just might add some speckles in it.

IF you feel the need to throw it out, I would pick a spot that needs some weed control and then dump it there and spray it down very well.
Depending on how much you have, you could dump it down the drain, but I wouldn't dump it all at once.

Thanks, Jcandleattic. I didn't think about stick blending it. I will give it a go!

Like Jcandleattic (hi, J!), I add silk to my 50/50 master-batch lye solution all the time. I concur that it does indeed make it thicker, and sometimes I'll have a few stubborn strands hanging around that don't dissolve all the way, but they have never caused me problems. I either strain them out or let the stick-blender take care of them when I'm stick-blending my soap batter. No need to throw the solution out.

IrishLass :)

Thanks, Ladies. I feel much better about soldiering on today! I have a whole day of new techniques, colors and ingredients happening today. Should be interesting! :p

Very useful info found in this thread.

I have a question also. How much silk do you add in 50% Lye solution that weights 1000gram? (500gram NaOH+500gram water)

I've read that you add silk at about 1gram @ ~2.5kilos of soap, or something like that...

(if you tell me the amount in lb and I'll make the conversion)

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Nikos

Hi Nikos! :)

I actually never weigh mine. I just eye-ball it, but I do have a method to my madness, as it were. lol First, I figure out how many batches of soap I'll get out of my master-batch solution. Next, what I do is tear off an amount of my tussa silk that is equal to about the size of 1/4th of a cotton ball found in the pharmacy or drugstore, and then I'll add as many of those torn-off pieces to my master-batch solution for each batch of soap the amount of solution will make.

IrishLass :)

Here's a related question. Who are some good Tussah silk suppliers. I'm less than thrilled with where I've been buying it. :)

I believe a kilo is 2.2 lbs, if that's the case, then 2.5 kilos woud be 5 1/2 lbs. If you ever need conversion help use google and type in Conversion from (whatever it is) to (whateve you want).

I've never heard of a "masterbatch" or 50/50 mix. Can someone explain what this is, why you do it and the benefits?

Latest posts

Back