Acceleration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a method to figure out how to tell if a fragrance oil will cause acceleration before I purchase it? Had to toss a whole batch yesterday because it hardened in what seems like seconds.

Beyond description notes and reviews from users, I have not found a way other than to just test. People far wiser than me on this board strongly suggest making small 1lb test batches to avoid ruining larger batches. I am not that wise, and have ruined many a batch... still makes good soap though, even if its a bit off looking, so don't toss it. You can rebatch it, or just use it for yourself.

Last edited:
As noted by others, there is the basic 'rule of thumb' for floral and spice scents...it's not absolute since some florals accelerate and some do not. It should be noted that all my Christmas soaps (spicy scents) accelerated.

Then of course, you want to read the description and reviews. Make sure it's for CP soap, not anything else. Now when reading reviews, you need to take them with a grain of salt since the review is based on that person's experience which can include how and where they soap and their recipe. BUTT if there are a lot of reviews and everyone is saying that it accelerates...pass.

Last, but not least is purchasing a Trial or 1oz size bottle and making a test batch. I have a couple of 4" Square Silicone Molds (20oz total) that I use to test new scents, colorants, additives or oils/butters. You just want to make sure that you make the test batch in the same way you would make a regular batch of soap. It should be noted that making a test batch is not 100%. As an example I make a Regular Soap and a Goat Milk Soap. If I am going to use the scent in both soaps then I will make two test batches. Now I don't add anything else to my GMS except scent so I can be almost 100% sure that the results will be the same when I scale up. But with my Regular Soap I generally add some kind of colorant...pigments, clays, oxides, mica, etc and sometimes I make a single color soap and sometimes I will make a two or three colored soap. Adding colorants can change how the scent reacts, so if the first test goes well, I will then purchase a second bottle and then make another text batch with colorants added. And yes, it is more expensive to purchase to purchase 2-1oz bottles than to purchase a 2oz bottle, but if the first test goes badly (and it has), I won't have any left over scent that I cannot use.

Latest posts

Back