A reciep with a problem need help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonday

Reaction score
Hi
I have in my area Canola Oil and Sunflower Oil. Other Oil is very expensive if I look for a recipe for business! Can you tell me How I can balance this two oil together (Or may be with a little of other oils) for a good soap?

Another question: why my soap have not enough suds? How I can decrease suds in soaps?

Thank you for your sharing!

You need to add either palm kernel oil or coconut oil. I like about 5% Castor oil in my soaps also. Using 30% coconut and 5% Castor oils should increase the suds.

I personally would not try to make a "good" soap with those two oils - they are quite similar in their properties, so essentially you're making a single oil soap. Out of interest, neither of these oils will produce a bubble lather, which explains why you aren't getting suds.

While other oils are expensive, if you are looking to sell (by the way, I will say now that I think you need to wait a good year of making soap and learning all about this craft, for example why a canola-sunflower mix doesn't work, before you sell) then surely the costs will working out - buying in bulk, mark up and so on.

I too wouldn't use those two oils in any large quantity as they are prone to DOS especially in humid temps. Also, without Coconut or Palm Kernel you will never get much in the way of a good lather and as ISG said 5% Castor is awesome and I don't make soap without it. Do you have access to lard or tallow they make awesome soap as does Olive. You can make a basic 3 oil soap with Olive, Palm and Coconut or just Coconut Oil and superfated at 20% make a great soap as well.

Hi
I have in my area Canola Oil and Sunflower Oil. Other Oil is very expensive if I look for a recipe for business! Can you tell me How I can balance this two oil together (Or may be with a little of other oils) for a good soap?

Another question: why my soap have not enough suds? How I can decrease suds in soaps?

Thank you for your sharing!
Business? Really? :lolno:
I'd hold that thought for another year or so.

There is no easy money in soap making. You'll have to invest and learn.
Besides that, even more expensive than the oils you need for the soap, are the fragrance and colour you'll put in that soap.
Plus adequate packaging and labelling.

There is no decent soap possible with the two cheap oils you picked.

Follow Seven's advise and follow the link.
Good luck!

Back