A question to the HP gurus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsams

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to do my first HP soap and I have some questions. What is the difference between sodium lactate and stearic acid? I've read that they can be added to HP in order for the soap to be smoother when molding. Does it make a difference which one I add? I've also read that they can be added at a rate of 1%-3% PPO. What percentage would you recommend? Thanks for your help. I've tried to search but I can't seem to find a good answer.

sodium lactate is great for keeping the soap more fluid and easier to pour into the mold, stearic acid is NOT. stearic is used primarily to harden softer soaps but it can actually decrease lather. when I use stearic I melt it separately, bring my soap to trace, then pour in the stearic because even at 2% your soap will seize instantly. you can unmold sooner because the soap is harder faster, but the same is true with sodium lactate.

I use sodium lactate at 1-1.5%

(yes, the stearic issue is completely different when talking about shaving soaps, but here we are just talking about regular HP)

If you are making your first soap why are you thinking of adding either? I never add them to my soap. Doesn't matter if I am making CP or CPHP. It doesn't need it. The only time I use stearic acid is when I am making shaving soap. I would get used to making soap without these additives first.

A very good suggestion on my last HP was to add the superfatting oil after the cook (in this case almond oil) and that would loosen up the HP soap a bit for molding. Worked a treat!

I almost always use SL in my HP soap while it's cooking and sometimes I will add stearic acid if the hardness numbers are not where I want them to be. SF oils get added immediately after the cook, then I let the soap cool a bit and add the FO/EO. Like Seawolfe mentioned, it loosens the soap and makes it a little more fluid.

He said it was his first HP soap, not his first soap ever.

My first HP batch, without SL, was very sad and dry (I did not know the trick of adding the superfat at the finish). I'm a big fan of sodium lactate. I use it at 2% if a powder, or if 60% liquid, 3.33% (since 3.33x.6=2)

Stearic acid is not used to make an HP soap more fluid.

Back