A good recipe using cocoa butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyvern

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe using cocoa butter? I just acquired a couple of pounds but haven't used it much so just wondering if anyone has a good recipe they would be willing to share?

Hoping will have sometime tomorrow to soap with it :D

Hazel,
you mean you can use palm in place of the crisco? We don't have crisco here..

lioness said:
Ok so this is the recipe its from The Soapmaker's Companion Book,
Called White Chocolate Mousse
187.5g lye
538.7g distilled water
311.85g olive oil
226.8g jojoba oil
453.6g coconut oil
226.8g cocoa butter
226.8g palm oil

I used 35ml of fragrance oil 1/2 apple and 1/2 almond

the only thing I forgot to do was insulate it as I got called away from my batch early....checked after 24hours and it tested at 13 and zapped me:(

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18700

Jezzy said:
Hazel,
you mean you can use palm in place of the crisco? We don't have crisco here..

Yes, you can use palm instead of Crisco. I didn't have just palm oil so I used the new Crisco which is palm and soybean. It worked great. Soapcalc.net has it included among their oils and butters. It helps a little with hardness but it's mainly conditioning.

It's really not too much different than adding palm oil and soybean oil separately in a recipe. Kind of like the below recipe except Crisco is hydrogenated.

30% Coconut Oil, 76 deg
27% Olive Oil
8.5% Palm
8% Soybean
16.5% Cocoa Butter
10% Castor Oil

I wanted a recipe to try with HP and asked honor435 for help. I told her what oils I had on hand and she came up with this recipe. I love the bubbly lather. I used beer for the liquid and family and friends really liked it. Some of them had been critical of earlier CP batches so for them to say they liked it told me that it was an excellent recipe. This is a recipe I will keep making because they liked it so much. Although I'll probably lower the cocoa butter percentage to 10% and up the Crisco percentage to 23%. This will make it less hard but more conditioning.

Bubbles Galore,

I like the look of the recipe you posted. I have jojoba oil but I've never used it in soap. I'll have to try this one, too.

Thanks for posting it. :D

Hee hee now I just need to find soy bean oil! It can be a difficult sometimes finding things here in Germany!

You don't have to use soybean oil. Use whatever oils you have on hand. I used these because they're what I had.

Do you use soapcalc.net? You could add everything in and then tweak the percentages until you like the look of the numbers.

I like a bar with a hardness between 40-45, cleansing 17-20, conditioning 52 or higher. This is just a personal preference. Oh, and bubbles, lots of bubbles. :lol: Which is why I add castor and sugar into my batches.

I should add that I'm not an expert. I've only been making CP and HP since February. So a lot of my batches are experiments. Then I get feedback from family and friends. I keep the recipe if they like the soap. If they don't like it, then I tweak the recipe - change percentages or oils. The only reason I said I might drop the cocoa butter percentage is because it's kind of an expensive butter. But if people don't like the lower percentage, then I'll go back to the higher percentage.

Yep! I am a soapcalc user! Just have to find more time to play around wuth it though...

I like this, it makes 2 lb recipe
oo-9 oz
castor- 3 oz
cocoa- 4oz
oo-9oz
po-7oz, it will be very creamy and bubbly! I promise.

Thanks guys! :D

Now I have plenty to work with :)

I just ended up playing around with soap calc and made 2 batches of my basic recipe just tweaked it a bit to add some cocoa butter. They look great so far....unscented Oatmeal, Milk and Honey and a Lavender, Oatmeal, Milk and Honey.

They smell yummy! And they are currently in the fridge since it is way too hot in my house and I remember last summer when I made some honey soaps I ended up with a volcano (live and learn!)

Back