A giant undertaking!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
Well, I say you definitely learn best by doing. While I always try to be extra prepared, I'd say that extra preparations are key to doing a bunch of things at once.

I went bold. Sure, my colors didn't much match the soap, but I was mostly interested in doing something fun.

So, I like my standard recipe. I think it will make a beautiful bar of soap. But, I wasn't prepared for how it would all end up.

First off, I made a goat's milk, honey and oat soap! That wasn't such a big deal for me, except, I wasn't prepared for the frozen cubes of goat's milk to make my lye solution so creamy. Much like that "orange cream" ice cream dessert. Is this normal? In turn, that made my mixing of the soap a bit weird, as I could definitely tell when or whether it was tracing or not, but the texture turned a little gritty.

I made it black and red, with oxides. I made the color ratio a bit lopsided, and had way more black than red, but I'm hoping it will turn out a pretty black bar with subtle brick red marbling.

It traced quickly towards the end, of course, which I was expecting, but having to move so fast, made me feel like I was running a marathon. My head was so deep into this endeavor.

So, any thoughts on how to maybe make this sort of undertaking turn out a little easier next time?

It was nerve racking.

PS: I think I need loads more mixing containers (I did have a tough time finding a store that had any in stock on Sunday).

Sounds like you were busy! But you handled it! I wasn't clear from your description, though, if the reference to orange cream was just the consistency or also the color. I've had my gm turn that color when I added my lye too quickly! !

Sounds like you were busy! But you handled it! I wasn't clear from your description, though, if the reference to orange cream was just the consistency or also the color. I've had my gm turn that color when I added my lye too quickly! !

Actually, both. The goat's milk froze into that color. If adding lye slower contributes to that, it's good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks!

I add my lye a little bit at a time and stir, stir, stir until it is dissolved before I add more. I also start with frozen goat milk, as you mentioned. I know some folks say just freeze it until it's slushy, but I freeze it solid. The only time I ever had an issue with goat milk was when didn't use frozen and added the lye all at once (at least, I think I did). I had a solid orange chunk of goat milk that was disgusting. If you go slowly, the milk might turn a little yellow, but it mostly stays creamy.

Here's a picture!

image.jpg

It looks pretty even though it wasn't what you expected. Strange that it would turn the red to what looks like an orange!

Well, what kind did you use? I find that the evaporated goat milk acts funny when you add lye to it, but it seems fine if you add it to the soap oils and deduct water. I just used the Meyenberg brand goat milk from Trader Joe's.

Well, what kind did you use? I find that the evaporated goat milk acts funny when you add lye to it, but it seems fine if you add it to the soap oils and deduct water. I just used the Meyenberg brand goat milk from Trader Joe's.

I took out the trash, but this looks right. I believe it was also the Meyenberg. I didn't realize it was evaporated. I'm going to look at my natural foods store. I'm sure they have some pretty cool ones. Thank you so much for your thoughts! They are helpful!

It seems like a salmony pinkish color. It started as a brick red oxide color, so I'm not too surprised by the color. I'm thinking, I could have used a little more. I couldn't find advice on how much to use, so I just guessed.

http://www.soap.com/p/meyenberg-eva...157612&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

I have had goat's milk turn orange in the freezer also. I was told by a veteran soaper in a email list that I'm on that it's normal. Never had any problems using it. That was with a powdered GM that I found at the local grocery store. Then I started using the powdered stuff from Amazon.com and have not had that problem since. But now I just use plain old distilled water to mix my lye solution and then add the powdered GM at trace, which IMO works much better.

I took out the trash, but this looks right. I believe it was also the Meyenberg. I didn't realize it was evaporated. I'm going to look at my natural foods store. I'm sure they have some pretty cool ones. Thank you so much for your thoughts! They are helpful!

It seems like a salmony pinkish color. It started as a brick red oxide color, so I'm not too surprised by the color. I'm thinking, I could have used a little more. I couldn't find advice on how much to use, so I just guessed.

http://www.soap.com/p/meyenberg-eva...157612&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

It's fine to use. You might just try adding it to the oils instead. Like MaitriBB, I also recommend the powdered goat milk. Or buttermilk! I love buttermilk powder.

And you are welcome!

Is adding the powdered milks to the oils better than at trace to make sure it isn't clumped up in your soap?
TIA

Kazmi, I'm not sure, but my hunch is yes. I stick blend the oils in, then add the lye water and stick blend. I have never had any milk clumps in the soaps.

I diluted my (Walmart) canned goat's milk with 50% distilled water. It turned orange in the plastic ice cube trays. :(

Back