A few questions for the great people here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyeaussie

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post as I am very new to soap making. I have made a few batches as practice and have read and watched everything I can get my hands on!
My questions are how ling after making the soap can it be used? I know the longer it dries, the linger it the bar will last, but I want to try my soap to see how it feels on my skin.
Also, should I keep my soaps in open air or is it better (especially for scented soaps) to be put in a breathable container, like a plastic storage tote with air holes?
I have made unscented soaps mostly and one peppermint soap, I am having trouble deciding which EO to use as they smell so strong in the bottle and they are to expensive (at least in the area that I live in) to buy them just to try. I like crisp, clean scents and also slightly sweet scents, could anyone make any suggestions?
I have had so much help from reading everyone's posts already! I am going back and reading the archives and I am about 40 pages back!
Thanks for any help with these question!

Hi and welcome to our amazing forum!

I don't give my soap away (or sell it) until it's been curing for at least 6 weeks, but in the early days I tried my soap from the end of week one ... and what a massive improvement I found as the soap aged. I don't think it's ready to be used after one week and you're at risk of damaging your skin if the scientific work isn't finished. I'm not sure when is best, because I now that trying our soap is our biggest desire. Hopefully some one else can tell you that after three or four weeks is best. My way now is to check when the ph is suitable ... this can be done by checking soap on your tongue ... known as the 'zap test'.

I think soap should be allowed to breathe, due to it needing to 'loose moisture' during the curing stage. For this reason I leave my cut bars in an open, dry and reasonably dark area for a week or two. Then they go into cardboard boxes lined with paper.

When I started making soap I used only EO's, but now I mostly use FO's. Australia has some great FO suppliers and I'm upset that financially I can't try more and more of the FO's available. If you check out the fragrance forum on this site, you'll find many threads about oils that are recommended.

I hope you continue to enjoy this amazing addiction and find this site a great resource!

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :)

Soap can be used as soon as it is safe, i.e. when it doesn't 'zap' anymore when the tongue test is applied- which can be as be as little as the same day you unmold it- but it benefits greatly and lasts a lot longer when allowed to sit and cure for a number of weeks. I consider my soap to be at its earliest best when 4 weeks have rolled by, but I've found that it benefits even more from a 6 to 8 weeks cure. The soap is harder, the lather is better, it lasts longer and feels more mild or less skin-stripping to my skin's natural oils, etc...

There have been many discussions about when the ideal time is to start using a soap. My personal view is to wait until it does not zap anymore, and then use at your own discretion as per how it feels to your own skin, since afterall, we all have different 'skin likes and dislikes' from each other. Test it out at intervals to see how it feels to you and how satisfatorily it performs to your liking, and then go from there.

Also, should I keep my soaps in open air or is it better (especially for scented soaps) to be put in a breathable container, like a plastic storage tote with air holes?

Plastic storage boxes with air holes are perfectly fine. I keep mine in the open air on racks for at least 4 weeks, and then transfer them to cardboard boxes with lids to which I have poked holes in for air ciculation.

I
have made unscented soaps mostly and one peppermint soap, I am having trouble deciding which EO to use as they smell so strong in the bottle and they are to expensive (at least in the area that I live in) to buy them just to try. I like crisp, clean scents and also slightly sweet scents, could anyone make any suggestions?

I know what you mean about the expense of EOs. That's one of the reasons I choose to use FOs instead. Plus I've found FOs to last longer in my soap, at least compared to the few EOs that I've used (lavender, peppermint and orange). I don't have any recommendations for EOs or EO blends, but I have several for FOs (too many, actually :lol: ). One of my favorite crisp, clean scents is Salty Sailor from Daystar, and one of my favorite sweet scents (that doesn't discolor to dark brown in my soap) is Blue Sugar from TheScentWorks.

Welcome to the addiction!
IrishLass :)

I am so amazed at everyone's helpfulness! Thank you so much! It truly does become an obsession doesn't it? I find myself thinking about it all the time and even dreaming about it!

My soaps cure for a minimum of 4 weeks. I've used some recipes after 3 weeks and they are fine but I like the hardness I get even in that 4th week.

Hi skyaussie, if aussie indicates you r in australia then I'd rec Escentials of Noosavilla for EO's. They r much for affordable than getting them from the healthfood shop etc. They have a great range of specialty FO's as well that I've been using alot lately and like. I like EO's and often do a combination of EO & FO. Some EO's just don't stay put in CP soap, like citrus oils, so perhaps do some reading/research before you go madly buying, like I did :oops:

And everything Irishlash said....spot on IMO.

Storing, I like to keep the least amount of surface area exposed to light/air but still allow for breathing to reduce any chance of DOS (rancid soap) So after cure I wrap in paper luncheon wrap.

and....welcome!! of course.

I use the CPOP method and use my soap as soon as two weeks. I do like it better after 4+ weeks though. I swear the harder the bars are, the longer they last. I would never give bars away, except to family, that weren't cured for 4+ weeks.

I usually cure my soaps at least 6 weeks, because in most of my soaps there is a high percentage of olive oil or extravrgin OO.
The more they cure, the better they become, just as good wine.

When you are blending EOs, mix few drops in a small jar, put on the lid and let them dance together. Sometimes later you can open the lid, while keeping it at some distance from your nose.

I've been reading a discussion here about scenting oils by infusion, which I haven't tried yet:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... 8169686706

There are many EOs which I like, but I don't often use them in soap. I know that certain EOs don't survive well in contact with lye.

Clean/Fresh: eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender and citrus-like scents, like lemongrass

Sweet: citrus family, cedar and many floral perfumes (for example - geranium, ylang-ylang - which both can be very strong).

4-6 weeks for me, I keep them in the open air for at least 4 weeks, later on I move them to cardboard boxes lined with paper and with holes opened to them.

I still use essential oils but as time goes by I tend to use more and more FO's. Some times I mix my FO's with some of my essential oils, and the results so far are excellent.

Good luck :)

Fragola said:
Sweet: citrus family, cedar and many floral perfumes (for example - geranium, ylang-ylang - which both can be very strong).

ylang ylang is very sour to most people's taste and also geranium is bitter- it is good as anchor for other smells but it is not sweet and light as many preffer...

patchuli is sweet to most people taste and it is long lasting in soap

for sweet light smells I'd go for whatever everyone offered but also lavender is an absolute fav. for real sweets the price goes waaayyy high- rose, lily, jasmine, neroli- all are sweet and VERY expansive

In my opinion, unless you have the funds to buy EO's in large quantity, don't buy them. You're better off using FO's. EO's are wonderful, but it's taken me two years to feel comfortable enough with my base recipe and soaping method, and committed enough to the craft to feel justified in buying 16 oz bottles of EO's (waiting for my shipment now). When you are starting out, there's nothing more discouraging than buying a $10-20 1 oz bottle of lavender or patchouli for one pound of soap (!), and maybe even getting a botched batch that you have to rebatch, losing some of the precious EO to the heat ( can you tell that this has happened to me before? lol). Such an experience may turn you off to the whole craft.
It's much more cost effective in the beginning to buy sample packs of FO's. Sample packs are your friend! LOL
You have the ability to stretch your dollar so much further, and just as significant...you get to explore different suppliers offerings, and try out a much larger array of scents. That flexibility, to explore different scents and try things out, is so important!

I love my EOs! I soap almost exclusively with them. They seem better for people with sensitive skin (well depending on the oil!). I have family who can't use synthetic fragrances. I made a mojito soap a year ago, I just stumbled across a bar a few days ago. The spearmint is still going strong, the lime has faded, but I didn't have enough to start with and it is a citrus oil. I have a lavender soap from nine months ago that smells great! I personally love rose geranium and can't stand patchouli. It is all about what you like! There are some great suppliers with affordable prices. This is just one, I tend to buy the cheapest for soap.

http://www.libertynatural.com/

FreeRabbit said:
Fragola said:

ylang ylang is very sour to most people's taste and also geranium is bitter- it is good as anchor for other smells but it is not sweet and light as many preffer...

patchuli is sweet to most people taste and it is long lasting in soap

for sweet light smells I'd go for whatever everyone offered but also lavender is an absolute fav. for real sweets the price goes waaayyy high- rose, lily, jasmine, neroli- all are sweet and VERY expansive

Nooo, I love Ylang Ylang and Geranium and I don't find them sour or bitter smelling. I'm washing with a soap with these 2 EOs at the moment. It's a joy.

Fragola said:
When you are blending EOs, mix few drops in a small jar, put on the lid and let them dance together.

I love the way you speak. "Let them dance together." You must be Italian. :wink:

Back