50#'s of lye... isnt it beeaaautifuuuul ;)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All packaged up and ready for storage and soaping :)

Imga1155.jpg

Imga1156.jpg

Imga1157.jpg

An open top 15 gallon drum would work great if you wanted to keep it all in one container. It's a little big, but they're inexpensive (when you can find them). You can also use a 5 gallon bucket with a "gamma" (screw-on) lid.

donniej said:
An open top 15 gallon drum would work great if you wanted to keep it all in one container. It's a little big, but they're inexpensive (when you can find them). You can also use a 5 gallon bucket with a "gamma" (screw-on) lid.

Yep, I use a Red Gamma seal on a 5 gallon bucket for my lye.

yeah I might need to pick one up, its got to fit underneath my dish sink, and not anger the lady... but other than that its allll good.. might have to pick one up from HD, as I dont want all this lye I just bought to go to waste due to absorbing water from the air...

Hehe, the skulls look nicer than the ones I drew on my coffee can Borax container! :lol:

I need to put my measly 10 lb of lye in a container as well. An empty Tidy Cat container will work well, I think.

I have used those tidy cats containers for so many things lol ... among them ... a reservoir for my deep water culture hydroponic basil/oregano/thyme/parsley plants :)

I don't think I'd try the cat litter container for lye. It needs to be air tight, otherwise it'll attract moisture and you'll have a solid brick of lye. Not fun, trust me. Go with the air tight gamma seal.

http://www.gamma2.net/new/GSL.html

I just switched to one of these:
9ae472bd-7aae-4dfd-ac2f-97c6448663e2_300.jpg

with a lid that seals, its not a screw-on version, but it works I guess lol

(I hope)

I dont have access to a gamma seal bucket unless I order online, and I dont really have the cash to buy anything else at this time...

Back