1st Timer Valentines Present ruined? Or just needs time-PICS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy82many

Reaction score
Hi there!

Well first off, I want to thank anyone kind enough to wander in and offer any suggestions to a total soap noob. I wanted to make my beautiful woman some handmade organic vegan soaps for a Valentine’s Day present. She’s into bath soaps and all those girly things, and I’m kinda crafty, (and I love her lots) so I figured I’d give it a whirl. I liked the fact that the process involves some chemistry as I’m a bit-science minded as well.

Here’s my problem before I go any further – After running through the whole process, it appears that I still have some Zap. I am trying to see if anyone here thinks the lye will cure out (it’s only been unmolded for a few hours) or if this batch is a waste. I cooked for a while and then did the Zap Test and it was still very caustic. I stirred and threw it back in the oven for several 20 minute cycles. The Zap definitely lessened with time, but all in all I cooked for a long time it seems. After pouring and unmolding, I can put the sop on my tongue and not get the zap. But if I let it sit for a few seconds – it Definitely gives a zap, light but there. Okay now to all the background -

So I went online and read articles and tutorials on making soaps at home for a few weeks. I read about CP, HP, OHP and a whole bunch of variations. I ended up settling on the Oven Hot Process as I was hoping to reduce the need to buy equipment – so all I really needed was a stock pot and stick blender for the OHP. (other than the soap ingredients)

I found a recipe that said that it could be easily unmolded from plastic molds (I had bought some plastic molds at Michaels, so I wanted to be able to put them to use). However it called for 15oz of Palm Oil, which I could not find at Whole Foods when I went there. So I had to modify the recipe. Since I had read that modifying the oils in the recipe would call for modifying liquid and lye, I went online to the lye calculators. I was able to get most of the oils in the recipe for easy unmolding, but not the Palm Oil. The recipe said I could substitute other solid-at-room-temp oils and it would work as long as my ration was about 75-80% room temp solid oils. I went online and used the MMM Lye Calculator and also used the one at J. Soule Web Design. They both came up with very similar numbers, with the J. Soule being slightly less Lye needed.

So here is the recipe I came up with using the calculators;
14 oz coconut
1 castor
4 hemp seed
2 Shea Butter
4 cocoa butter
1 Sesame Seed
*9oz water
119 g lye = 4.261oz.

*Instead of pure water, I brewed 6 tea bags of White Vanilla Apricot Tazo Tea to make a strong extract into the 9oz. of water.

Okay to get into the process – I bought all Organic ingredients, the best and purest quality I could find;

IMG_1804.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg

Here is the Tea brewing

IMG_1808.jpg

Before I take out the lye, I suit up for safety – notice the long sleeves tucked into the gloves;

IMG_1816.jpg

Now I measure the Lye on my digital scale. It is accurate to a tenth of a gram and I literally quadruple checked my measurements before moving on. I had exactly 119grams of lye.

IMG_1821.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg
IMG_1819.jpg
IMG_1820.jpg
IMG_1822.jpg

Okay the lye is weighed and ready to be added to the water/tea extract

IMG_1811.jpg

But before we add the Lye, I take everything outside just for added safety, in case the jar breaks, or the solution boils over.

IMG_1828.jpg
IMG_1826.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg

Now I go back inside to let the Lye + Water mix cool down. I get all my room temp solids ready;

IMG_1832.jpg

And add them to the stainless steel stock pot.

IMG_1837.jpg

I also turned on the stove to 200F

IMG_1845.jpg

Once I mix all the room temp oils (with a little heat from the stove), I add the other oils/fats. Then I take my thermometer and make sure both the Lye Water and the mixed oils are about 110F.

IMG_1825.jpg

Once that is confirmed, I add the lye water to the oils and stir with my stick blender for about 5-10 minutes on and off.

IMG_1841.jpg

After the 10 minutes of mixing it looks like this – it will easily hold what the soap people are calling “trace.” ( I think!) You can see the lines on top of the mix here, they stayed for a bit.

IMG_1841.jpg

At that point I put it in the pre-heated oven;

IMG_1844.jpg

I left the oven on for about 10-15 minutes and then turned it off (some OHP call for leaving it on, others say turn it off). I let the mix cook for about an hour and then I opened the oven to do a Zap test…I got a pretty good zap, so I put it back in the oven and turned it on.

I did a few more stir-cook-stir-zap test cycles, so that the mix was cooking almost 3 hours or more. At that point it was already 1 in the morning – I had to sleep for work tomorrow!!! So I did a final zap test – it was almost all gone, but not totally. So after 3 or more hours of cooking, all the lye has not saponified, so I am really wondering if I put too much lye…however I used two calculators and quadruple checked the weight measurements of the lye – really.

IMG_1852.jpg

So I woke up in the morning and unmolded the soap.

IMG_1859.jpg
IMG_1859.jpg
IMG_1854.jpg

I did wash my hands with it and it did seem to maybe possibly irritate my skin, it was nothing overwhelming. But my woman has sensitive skin. And I can’t give her half-made soap that is going to hurt her cute skin for Valentines Day! I’m pretty upset at this point, as this was my whole plan for a cool present this year. I still have about 4 days left for it to cure, but I am not sure if it will actually make the lye sting go away or not.

After doing some reading here last night (in a panic), it seems I may be able to re-batch if it is messed up, but I know nothing about that, or if it would help…I think I may have time to do another batch tonight, but I’m short on money and room temp oils…

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

I ran your recipe through soapcalc.net, and your soap is lye heavy. You only needed around 4 oz lye for the soap to have a 5% superfat. Also, coconut oil is very cleansing, and so this recipe is harsh. High coconut oil needs a high superfat to lessen the harshness. Sorry. Your soap could be used for laundry.

Total oil weight 26
Water as percent of oil weight 38 %
Super Fat/Discount 5 %
Lye Concentration 28.703 %
Water : Lye Ratio 2.484:1
Sat : Unsat Ratio 63 : 37
Iodine 49
INS 185
Fragrance Ratio 0
Fragrance Weight 0 Oz

Ingredient Pounds Ounces Grams
Water 9.88
Lye - NaOH 3.977

1 Coconut Oil, 76 deg 14 oz
2 Castor Oil 1 oz
3 Hemp Oil 4 oz
4 Shea Butter 2 oz
5 Cocoa Butter 4 oz
6 Sesame Oil, fractionated 1 oz
Totals 26
Hardness 29 - 54 57
Cleansing 12 - 22 36
Conditioning 44 - 69 36
Bubbly 14 - 46 40
Creamy 16 - 48 25
Iodine 41 - 70 49
INS 136 - 165 185

You did have a great idea for your valentine, I'm sorry that it didn't turn out. You don't have much time, but you could try this recipe. It's a smaller batch, too.

Olive oil 8 oz
Coconut oil 4 oz
Shea butter 3 oz
Castor oil 1 oz

Water 6 oz (Tea turns the soap tan. You could use aloe vera juice.)
Lye 2.2 oz

Oh, and Palm oil can be found at Whole Foods - it is called Spectrum Shortening.

sorry about your batch, did you look at soap calc for your qualites of soap?
use oo and hemp and co and castor, put all in crock on high, when melted, add lye/water mix, bring to a trace with sb, cook for 30-60 min, you will see it gel around the edges, when the gel is all the way to the middle it is done, then stir and add color and fo, put in molds, you can always give your soap with a note that it is still curing and not to use til certain date?

:( Oh no. That's really too bad. I definitely didn't want to give her soap that is lye-heavy :(

I agree not a lot of time left, and I spent most of my money on this project, so I'll have to think up something quick...

Thanks for the reply!

Edit: I didn't know about soap calc until now. I was using two other lye calculators (mentioned above...)

you bought some pretty spendy products there, if you are going to keep making soap i would but online? soapers choice, wsp or oilsby nature.

I'm impressed, your effort into the project is pretty wonderful. The advice given is great, I hope your future projects work out better. :wink:

Great photos. All is not lost if you still have more ingredients. Adjust your recipe so that it is not lye heavy and purchase a silicone log mould or silicone heart shaped moulds (cake trays) and once your mixture has traced, pour into silicone moulds and put into a warm oven (170 f) for 10 minutes and then turn the oven off and leave overnight. This will force your soap to gel and it should be good to handle by the next day. Warm your moulds in the oven while you are making the soap and sit the moulds on a tray for ease of movement when full.

This site is awesome! Thank you all very much for the info!

I didn't realize how much it would cost to go out and buy all those organic oils LOL, those 8 bars cost about $100 or so and now they're not really even usable!

Someone mentioned using the soap for laundry. Is it okay to use soap with lye in it for laundry? If so, how much would I use by weight?

I do still have some of the regular oils, but I used most of my room temp oils. It sounds like I can now get the Palm Oil, if it is at Whole Foods. I'll have to get some other recipes that will work good for this process...Maybe if I make it the way it is supposed to be with the Palm Oil, it will work better...I know I would feel better using the true recipe instead of creating one myself until I learn more.

It was a lot of energy to put into it, so I am sure we'll try again one day soon. We had fun and I know it would be really neat to use our own soaps :)

okay Edited to add;
I went to the Soap Calc and entered in the original recipe from here;
http://www.teachsoap.com/hp.html

15oz. palm oil (not to be confused with palm kernel oil)
5oz. coconut oil
2oz. sesame oil(if you don't like the strong smell of sesame oil, try finding a refined/odorless version. If all else fails, rice bran oil will work in a pinch.)
2oz. shea butter
1oz. castor oil
3.49oz sodium hydroxide (6% superfat)
9 oz. water (No discount as this is a small soap recipe. If you are making a larger batch, you can discount the water by 20%)

and it gave me this print out. I admit I do not know how to read this too wee, can anyone tell me if this will produce acceptable to great soap?

Total oil weight 25
Water as percent of oil weight 38 %
Super Fat/Discount 5 %
Lye Concentration 28.257 %
Water : Lye Ratio 2.539:1

Sat : Unsat Ratio 58 : 42
Iodine 49
INS 171
Fragrance Ratio 0
Fragrance Weight 0 Oz
Ingredient Pounds Ounces Grams
Water 0.594 9.5 269.32
Lye - NaOH 0.234 3.742 106.077
# √ Oil/Fat % Pounds Ounces Grams
1 Palm Oil 60 0.938 15 425.243
2 Coconut Oil, fractionated 20 0.313 5 141.748
3 Sesame Oil, fractionated 8 0.125 2 56.699
4 Shea Butter 8 0.125 2 56.699
5 Castor Oil 4 0.063 1 28.35
Totals 100 1.563 25 708.738
Hardness 29 - 54 53
Cleansing 12 - 22 19
Conditioning 44 - 69 44
Bubbly 14 - 46 23
Creamy 16 - 48 38
Iodine 41 - 70 49
INS 136 - 165 171

Lauric 0
Myristic 1
Palmitic 28
Stearic 7
Ricinoleic 4
Oleic 31
Linoleic 10
Linolenic 0

i really like this
hemp 4 oz
oo 8
po 6
co 9
castor 3 4.2 lye, 9.9 water
it is very bubbly and creamy, good luck, do you have a crockpot? it is very easy.

you clearly love your sweetie!

yes you can use that slightly lye heavy soap for laundry - just not for wool or silk which have a lot of protein in them. cotton and linen and (gasp) synthetics will be just fine.

grate it first and dissolve it in some water (we call that laundry goop - do it and you'll see why). just a few tablespoons of the grated soap will do. and if you have hard water (heck, even if you don't) it's great to add vinegar (white probably) to the rinse. I use one of those Down fabric softener balls but you don't need to.

so now you made your sweetie laundry detergent AND are going to do the laundry. that would be nice. :)

(wear gloves while grating the soap)

You obviously put your heart into this project and it's a bummer it didn't work out the way you planned. If it helps you are not the first to have that happen and you won't be the last.

I think in the future if you give CP a try you will be much happier with the end result. There are also a variety of nice MP bases you can buy online (not at Michael's) which you can then add your own extra love to. Try WSP.

For the Valentines gift might I suggest browsing the bath and body forum here for some ideas. You may have enough ingredients left for a nice lip balm, sugar and/or salt scrub, or lotion bar. All of these things can be made without cooking and could be ready fairly quickly. Without preservatives they will need to be used fairly quickly but maybe you can help her with that :) as part of the gift. Add a nice decorative jar and a scented candle... maybe use some of those expensive organic oils to cook a nice dinner... you just might have something.

If all else fails show her this post so she knows what you and your cute little partner there tried to do for her.

not exactly the same as handmade soap, but a scrapbook using all those pictures would be sweet (IMO), and if you dont scrapbook, you can order a photobook online, though the time is really running down (my hubby's present it as yet unfinished aswell)

you put in alot of effort, and i am sure your lady will appreciate that more than a perfect finished product

You could try rebatching,adding in whats needed

I added 12oz Olive & 1oz castor to yr formula & came up with this

Hardness 43
Cleansing 25
Conditioning 52
Bubbly 29
Creamy 23

Take a look at this rebatch method.You grate yr soap into a fresh batch basically
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Maybe try with 1/2 your soap

Hey,it's just a thought. :) You went to so much trouble,& whether yr soapies work out or not,yr gal is lucky to have a fella who goes to so much effort for her.

gekko62 said:

Hardness 43
Cleansing 25
Conditioning 52
Bubbly 29
Creamy 23

Take a look at this rebatch method.You grate yr soap into a fresh batch basically

Hey,it's just a thought. :) You went to so much trouble,& whether yr soapies work out or not,yr gal is lucky to have a fella who goes to so much effort for her.

you added 13 more ounces to the stuff he made? (in your calculations, I mean). that would result in a 28% superfat.

The original recipe with palm oil looks good. Notice that the lye is 3.7 oz.

I like the scrapbook idea, too. Your valentine will appreciate your effort. And chocolate is usually a hit. How about organic chococlate? :)

Okay so I am inspired to see this thing through -

Yay!!! I was able to get the Palm Oil thanks to this forum :) It WAS Disguised as shortening. I had to actually read the ingredients to be sure. No wonder I missed it the first two times :oops:

I definitely noticed the lye in the original recipe was way less. So I am going to use that exactly as it is.

I belong to some other online forums and I've noticed that when someone new is attempting something, it is best to try to follow exactly the directions before experimenting, just to get the basics. If I had found the Palm Oil on the first go around, I wouldn't have had to get all creative and substitute oils. So this time, I will follow it exactly.

I love the idea of a silicone mold and putting it in the oven in the mold - that would be great.

So Major question____________________________________________

Aside from my original recipe being off - does anyone see any procedural errors in my steps.

(I understand there is a no-mixing-lye-in-glass thing around here, but I'll be extra careful - I like using the canning jars, they're made to withstand high and low temps, pressure, etc...)

yea yea on the canning jars but it's still a horrid idea and a risk absolutely not worth taking. but you are a big boy so you will do what you will. make sure your child is not in the room when you pick it up. seriously, have you seen the pics of the kid with the lye burns?

but anyway - have fun with it and remember, there's still time to purchase from other forum members ;)

(she'll love whatever you make her - you know that!)

carebear said:
gekko62 said:

Hardness 43
Cleansing 25
Conditioning 52
Bubbly 29
Creamy 23

you added 13 more ounces to the stuff he made? (in your calculations, I mean). that would result in a 28% superfat.

:shock: Ooops! Ballsed that up..

I added 12oz Olive,1oz castor and 32g lye(in 80g water). Upped the olive to bring the cleansing down.

But for something simpler 3oz olive,1oz castor to the whole batch,gives an 8%SF,the numbers aren't fantastic,but at least it's not lye heavy.
Makes it Hard 51/ Cleanse 32/Cond 42/Bubbles 39/Creamy25.

jeremy82many said:
Aside from my original recipe being off - does anyone see any procedural errors in my steps.

(I understand there is a no-mixing-lye-in-glass thing around here, but I'll be extra careful - I like using the canning jars, they're made to withstand high and low temps, pressure, etc...)

Second carebears advise about glass. Ive had a shatterproof pyrex casserole dish do what it wasn't supposed to 1/2way between oven & table.

What oils do you have left Jeremy? Are you going to do the original formula with palm? This is sort of like 'stay tuned for the next exciting episode of.......' :)

carebear said:
yea yea on the canning jars but it's still a horrid idea and a risk absolutely not worth taking. but you are a big boy so you will do what you will. make sure your child is not in the room when you pick it up. seriously, have you seen the pics of the kid with the lye burns?

Thirded. I've had Pyrex shatter in the dishwasher (at 120 degrees) just because it was a little old and probably had a tiny crack in it somewhere that I never would have noticed.

In the dishwasher it's a moderate annoyance and minor mess. Filled with lye it's a disaster. Do yourself a favor and get a heavy Rubbermaid plastic pitcher or something--about $4 at your grocery store. Borosilicate would work, but that's only available at a chemistry store, and quite expensive.

And I second keeping the child out of the room as well...those lye burn photos were enough for me to be very, very careful (and use rear-ventilated goggles and elbow-length Neoprene gloves just in case).

I definitely had the little one standing WAY back and also protective clothed, but I certainly understand what you're saying and will take that to heart.

Can someone link me to the pics of the lye burned kid so I can check out what you're talking about - I'm sure I will be even more careful in the future?

Soooooooo...
Here's how it went - we went and got Palm oil and I did the original recipe. I saw the Soap Calc said 3.79oz of lye. The original recipe I had lists 3.49 oz. of lye. So I use 3.5, even though it was less thanwhat soap calc suggests, I was really worried about the soap coming out lye heavy.

So I used the original recipe, but I made two variations - instead of pure water, I used 20% organic red wine and 80% white tea (strong brewed 6 bags per 9 oz water). well that may be one variation instead of two, not sure...

Even with using less lye, the soap still came out with some ZAP :(

If I just put my tongue on the soap, no ZAP, however if I more like french kiss the soap (okay I know, whatever :)), then I definitely get the ZAP and can feel the sting. It's not too bad, but there.

With the first batch of soap, I washed my hands with it and it burned. This second batch of soap doesn't burn, but I feel it still has lye in it, so it's no good.

For the person who suggested scrapbooking, I THANK YOU for saving Valentine's Day! I took all the pics from the first thread and pics from our second batch and made a really cute scrapbook of our soap making adventure. I didn't get a pic of the scrapbook for you all, but it was my first one and I think it came out really great!!!

Then I wrapped one of the soaps from the second batch in a home-made wrapper and gave it to her with the scrap book as a decoration soap.

She really loved the scrap-book and also the soap - now she's got me excited to keep on trying.

So I'm going to try to find a new recipe or something and try again.

I saw some warnings about Olive Oil in HP soaps I think, so I've been a bit scared to try that.

I'm also going to get a cheese grater and shred my soaps and see if I can re-batch.

I have no idea why it came out lye heavy this time, I used less lye than soap calc recommended...

I stick blended for a full 10-15 minutes until the mix was like really thick oatmeal (hot cereal) before putting it in the oven...

Thanks again for all your help and kind words!!

Latest posts

Back