1st attempt at bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bathbombmad

Reaction score
hello all,
this is my 1st attempt at bath bombs, i have no moulds yet so i had to use stuff around the house.. they turned out ok but dont really work to well.. they hardly fizz at all.. was hoping to give some out at xmas but dont think il be able to now :cry: does anyone have a good recipe or any idea why they didnt fizz enough?

i used
300g bicarbonate of soda
100g citric acid
few drops of colour
few drops of fragrance
and sprayed with water til become like damp sand

i have left them maybe 6 hours.. could that be why they didnt fizz alot?
they are rock hard so i dont see why id need to leave them longer.
should i use more citric acid or something?

video

photos
bomb1-1.jpg

bomb.jpg

bomb11.jpg

bomb1.jpg

The best ratio is 2 parts bicarb soda to 1 part citric acid, so at 300g of bicarb you'd want to add 150g citric acid.

If you're not getting fizz then it's possible that the water you're using to bind it together is causing the fizz reaction at the time when you are making them. Oil tends not to make it prematurely fizz so you could try a combo of water and oil or even go all oil.

Good luck to you!! :)

Hi

I experimented with bath bombs for ages until I got it right, but even now - every now and again I have a little flop. I noticed that on humid days - it is almost impossible to get nice sooth looking bath bomb, cos the mositure in the air starts to make the mix fizz a teeny bit and then you have big old grains of mix as opposed to smooth powder texture.

I think there might be a way you can get around this. Mix your mix and then cover it with something air tight. I make a big batch unscented or fragranced, set it aside and the only colour, scent and add the wet ingredients to what I am working with, and I never work with more than the quantity of 6 fizzers at a time.

Also, try adding a tablespoon of Bentonite clay to your recipe, I find that it makes it harder as well. I dont spray with water, I use a high proof alcohol. so you gett enough moisture to clump but it evaporates away quickly enough so that it doesnt make it soggy fizz.

Hope this helps

I use 3 cups baking soda to 1 1/2 cups citric acid. Sift them together really well.
Add your FO while mixing. I use a little sweet almond oil mixed with my coloring and drizzle that into my mix, spritz with witch hazel while mixing with your hands until the mixture holds together when you squeeze it. Make sure to squish the mixture to incorporate all of the FO and color/oils. Pack into your molds. Some people spritz the molded bombs again with witch hazel, but I don't because I find it makes the bombs "wart".

Here is a good tutorial on making bath bombs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOY7QFOVv6A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOY7QFOVv6A[/ame]

Back