Help with bath bombs - do not smell strong enough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tourist4ever

Reaction score
Hello!

i'm new to making bath bombs and i've tried amending the recipes but I dont seem to get the bath bombs to smell as strong as others have! I hoping someone can help with this...

I currently use roughly the below as a tester. From what i read my essential oil amount is quite high (?) so I am not sure why i have not managed to get them to smell strong enough!
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 epsom salt
1/4 corn starch
1/4 citric acid
about 60 drops of essential oil - so far i have tried lavender/ylang ylang and lemon & tea tree (i started off with 10 drops, then 20 etc etc)
1 tablespoon of almond oil
1/2 table spoon of poly 80
5 drops colourant

Am i still doing something wrong here? Or can there be differences in where you buy your essential oils? I bought mine from Craftersshop.co.uk . I read some people use fragrance oils instead but from looking at Etsy where you can see some ingredients people do use essential oils so I wonder how to get the recipe perfect.

You also might want to try converting your recipe into percentages...this is far easier to work with. It looks like by your quantities that you only are at about 1% fragrance. I use about 2% in my bath bombs and the fragrance is very nice. I am surprised however that the 1% lavender isn't working for you as lavender is pretty strong. Converting your recipe into percentages will also help you to ensure that you are making products with the correct usage rates for EOs/FOs.

I also want to mention that you could also be nose-blind to your own products.

These have worked really well for me and I've had some tremendous feedback from folks that have used them.

500g Bicarb of soda
250g citric acid
15g SLSA
16ml scent
mica/liquid colouring

Makes 5 6cm diameter bath bombs.

My wife and daughter loves them with the added bonus that it doesn't mess up the bath either like commercial ones tend to do.

HIya
Thanks so much guyes, i'll give these a go. How does the clay help with the smell, i thought clay is more to make the bath bombs more sturdy?

FYI - my nose is very sensitive so it's not me being nose blind to my own bath bombs as i bought some from Etsy just to see the difference between others and mine :)

Back