16 lbs of Lemon Sugar SOS.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deda

Reaction score
Anyone have a surefire trick to soaping a finicky seizer? Or better yet, know of a Lemon Sugar that behaves?

I adore, seriously LOVE, Lemon Sugar from WSP. I think they may have changed the formula because I just WASTED 16 lbs of oils, I did 4 4-lb batches since Saturday of this scent, all of them Seized.

I tried my usual cold soaping with RT oils and Icy Lye Water at 40%. I tried RT oils with Hot lye, still 40%, Warm oils, full water 100 degree lye and finally BY-The-Book 110 degree lye/water/oil, scent at the end. Nothing worked.

Any Ideas?

what oils did you use in your formula? I find with a lot of hard oils I actually have to soap warmer.

and I'd suggest contacting WSP and asking them about a change.

Funny you should ask that Carebear. I did the first 2 batches with Coconut, Rice Bran, Palm and Olive, the last 2 I used your CO/OO 75%/25%, with a 15% SF. It was such a slow tracer when I tried it before with no fragrance.

Deda said:
Anyone have a surefire trick to soaping a finicky seizer? Or better yet, know of a Lemon Sugar that behaves?

I adore, seriously LOVE, Lemon Sugar from WSP. I think they may have changed the formula because I just WASTED 16 lbs of oils, I did 4 4-lb batches since Saturday of this scent, all of them Seized.

I tried my usual cold soaping with RT oils and Icy Lye Water at 40%. I tried RT oils with Hot lye, still 40%, Warm oils, full water 100 degree lye and finally BY-The-Book 110 degree lye/water/oil, scent at the end. Nothing worked.

Any Ideas?

The Lemon Sugar from Southern Garden behaved well, I used it in my Walking on Sunshine base.

smellitlikeitissoaps said:
The Lemon Sugar from Southern Garden behaved well, I used it in my Walking on Sunshine base.

It's on sale! And now it's MINE!

Thanks!

x

just a thought-

i have a mulberry that will seize no matter what i did. but it behaves beautifully when i make rtcp WHIPPED soap-33% water.

i mix up the oils, add the f/o and color, then add the lye and whip-it always comes out-but i don't tempt fate screwing around with it. just mix and pour!

there's nothing worse than a tempermental f/o!

monet

Deda I feel terrible that this has happened to you, and 16 lbs of oils...ouch!
But....It's makes me feel so much better knowing that even an expert such as yourself has bad batches!! :cry:

I wish I read this thread BEFORE I made my purchase at WSP yesterday! I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon and can't find a good scent!

You will love love love this scent. I use in room spray, sugar scrub, bath bombs, salts. It's my very favorite.

I hope the stuff from Tony's smells as good.

Please let us know how the one at Tony's is!

Btw, have you ever tried the WSP version with M&P? I'm not even sure if M&P "seizes" ??

I did, it works fine. I don't know that much about MP, only what the knowledgeable ladies on here have shared with me, but I don't think it can seize.

I added the Lemon Sugar some MP and covered the top of a salt bar. It smells so good.

BTW, the Lemon sugar works great in 90/10 CO/Castor salt, its so thick anyway that the seize didn't matter.

As a side note, I have to mention that I left the SOS is the bucket while I pitched a fit, came back and it had gelled in the bucket - 10 minutes. I scooped it into the molds and the soap is fine, but it looks like HP, rough around the edges.

Seriously can't wait for the new stuff to get here!

x

BTW, reallyrita recently posted on another thread in regards to seizing that she adds 1 tsp ppo of liquid lecithin (health food stores) blended into her melted oils. she said that it significantly slows down trace.

i'm going to try that with my mulberry f/o! :D

Latest posts

Back