100% whole wheat bread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
Even though my soaping didn't go as planned this weekend, I was able to bang out some good looking bread! This is my favorite go to recipe for sandwich bread when I don't feel like running to the store, and I have time on my hands...

Ingredients:
4 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 c warm water
1/4 c honey
2 tbsp Olive oil or melted butter
2 and 1/4 tsp rapid rise yeast

This is EASY if you have a nice big mixer, like a Kitchenaide mixer. Dump everything into the bowl. Seriously. Using the dough hook, mix on low until you get a nice even dough ball. I take it out and squish it around for a few minutes to be sure everything is uniformly mixed in. Then put back in the mixer and let it mix with the dough hook for a good 5-10 minutes. While this is mixing, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Get two bread pans and grease well with your choice oil/butter/spray etc. Divide the dough ball into 2 and shape into loaf pans. Set on top of the oven or in a warm spot, cover with a damp kitchen towel and leave alone until double in size. It takes about 45 minutes for me on the top of my stove. Then bake for 30-40 minutes depending on your oven. The hardest part is now. Take them out on a cooling rack and leave alone until completely cool. Otherwise you will 1) Burn yourself by eating it, 2) not be able to slice it well with a knife, 3) Wish you waited at least an hour to sit back and enjoy the results. ;)

P1020040.jpg

Well Done! Looks Delicious.
Making 100% Whole Wheat Bread is not easy.
Try 50% Soft Winter Wheat and 50% Hard Red Azure Summer wheat, makes for a nice bread as well.
Roy

I love making bread but everytime I get a very dense loaf....it's never airy like store bread.

Beautiful delicious bread Liz. Mmmmmmm.

To Christina and Sammi - bread is sposed to be heavy. Store bought bread lacks the weight, and likewise the nutritional value and filling capacity of home made bread. You can try using flour that is designated bread flour or use part cake flour for a lighter result.

I know Melissa, sigh...but still!!!!!!!!! I feel that it's more nutritious but I want nice bakery sub rolls! I hate the heavy, dense breads for sandwiches and subs. It's good toasted though!! :)

I know Melissa, sigh...but still!!!!!!!!! I feel that it's more nutritious but I want nice bakery sub rolls! I hate the heavy, dense breads for sandwiches and subs. It's good toasted though!! :)

Oh you want bakery rolls. That's different! Is it really gluten Liz? I've never used gluten in breadmaking, but I've never tried for soft and fluffy either. I thought gluten made "strings" and thusly kept things "tied" together. How does that make it lighter instead of heavier? I am off to Google it!

Oh you want bakery rolls. That's different! Is it really gluten Liz? I've never used gluten in breadmaking, but I've never tried for soft and fluffy either. I thought gluten made "strings" and thusly kept things "tied" together. How does that make it lighter instead of heavier? I am off to Google it!

Whole wheat has little gluten, so adding it makes a softer, puffier bread. I have tested this personally! A lot of recipes say its optional...well, it is the difference!

Exactly right. Gluten's ability to bind things together actually causes little pockets where the carbon dioxide released by the yeast gets trapped, making the bread lighter.

Really...gluten? I've never tried adding that.
There. It's on the grocery list now. Thanks for the tip AND the recipe, Liz!

I got a grain mill for Christmas (yeah, how romantic huh) and as
much as I love fresh whole wheat bread (and cornbread!),
I've never been able to get a "fluffy" loaf.

It WAS a superb gift! I love it, I really do.
But, honestly, once you start getting small appliances as
gifts, the honeymoon really is over. :mrgreen:

I want one for Christmas!!!!! I am definitely going to try sub rolls with that recipe.

Really...gluten? I've never tried adding that.
There. It's on the grocery list now. Thanks for the tip AND the recipe, Liz!

I got a grain mill for Christmas (yeah, how romantic huh) and as
much as I love fresh whole wheat bread (and cornbread!),
I've never been able to get a "fluffy" loaf.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a while to get one so I can have a better selection of flours. They sell VWG next to flours in the baking aisle-usually under Hodgeson Mill or Bob's Red Mill. It's a lot cheaper though if you can get it from a bulk store, the health food place in town is where I get it. But the boxed stuff works great too.

I want one for Christmas!!!!! I am definitely going to try sub rolls with that recipe.

That might still be a little too dense for subs, maybe try it with half white and half wheat flour?

.....AAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD .... it's gone!

Very delish, Liz. Definitely much fluffier than the hockey pucks that
are my regular whole-wheat recipe*. Thanks again for the tip.

*baker's notice: obviously not WonderBread fluffy. If I wanted WonderBread
I would have bought some. but very definitely fluffy and quite good tasting -
all around I will use this recipe a LOT!

Oh, all these breads look so delicious. I love bread and have not really tried making my own. I do make fried dough for a Yule treat as part of a family tradition though :)

My husband is Italian and thinks it's hilarious that I thought you could ONLY eat fried dough if you went to a fair :oops:

Latest posts

Back